Artemia,worthy/not worthy?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
So? whats the scoop, my supplier (in the big city) is carrying continuous brine shrimp hatcheries, think this would work in the fuge? :smirk:

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Thanks booze, i havent had a pod nor nothing since the power outage last year:invisible

hma

Heinz? please tell why? I was thinking they had to be better than the frozen?

Live Artemia, or how your calls, brine shrimp are of course much better than frozen. However, they are not to keep in normal salt water. They need a much higher salinity and a very high density of feed (Phytoplankton). The water must be dark green from plankton. You cannot realise this in a fuge because of the high percentage of nitrate.

panmanmatt

Steve, the continuous hatch and feed is a water quality nightmare. Brine shrimp hatching water is full of ammonia, cilliates and who knows what else. That water will mix with your fuge water and cause you more problems than what it's worth.

I know the package says the water won't mix, but that is only in a fresh water application. With sw being denser that fw the 2 can never mix, but in a sw application the waters will mix together as ther are of a very close density.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Perfect! my job is done, knowledge base expanded. Thanks for the answers,seemed like a good plan, guess it needs a separate environment so I will stick to mysis:)

Melanie

Thank you for asking this question because I was thinking of getting one too and now I see why it's a bad idea.

panmanmatt

Terry,
That is what hes talking about, but if you read the product description, it was designed for freshwater use. Even though the description says it ca be used for marine tanks it can't. It relies on the density difference between salt and fresh water to keep the hatching water from getting into the tank. In a marine environment, the 2 waters will mix which is not good.

I have brought this to the attention of the manufacturer a few times and the reps have agreed that it isn't really suitable for marine use. However the packaging still states it can be.

tbittner

:lol:

To bad this thread hadn't been created about a month ago. I bought one of these but, thankfully, I hadn't used it yet.

Oh well, maybe I'll give it a try on my 29g FW tank.