Are these both GSP's?

Rekkie

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any assistance, i defiantly know the first picture is a Green Star Polyp and know how fast it spreads. I managed to get it just in time and moved it from my RSM250 into the 100 Lt Mantis tank i have setup which has much lower spec LED lighting that has kept its growth in check.

However confirmation of the second picture being a GSP would be appreciated, if grows as fast as the first one i would need to move it out soon.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Looks like GSP in BOTH pictures to me. :D
I like my Green Star Polyps but I try to keep them growing on my sand bed only.
They do grow extremely FAST :snowski:

Rekkie

Thanks for the confirmation Diana. I think will put it back onto a frag plug and keep it separate for now and see how it goes, hopefully it grows around the Zoa's.

Mike Johnson

Pachyclavularia is commonly known as Star Polyp. Species in this genus closely resemble Clavularia and Anthelia, but lack the exaggerated feathery pinnules on the polyps. I believe your first photo is Pachyclavularia.

Pachyclavularia (another Star polyp type coral) is a junior synonym of Briareum. By comparison, Pachyclavularia has distinct and raised calyces while Briareum has exceptionally low profile calyces. Also notice the slightly feathery pinnules. I believe the second photo is Encrusting Briareum.