Are O'Dell aquariums tempered?

degibson84

The 220 my father in law is giving me is an Odell based on the fish logo on the front of tank trim. I have been trying to find out if it is tempered or not. I have read that if you look at the glass through polarized sunglasses you will see a rainbow if it is tempered. Not sure if that is true or not but if anyone has done this please let me know. Also on the edge of one of the side panes there looks to be a chunk broken off which leads me to believe its not tempered as it would have shattered if tempered.

If anyone knows of the tank specs let me know or even if anything I described is true please let me know

jerry26

I couldnt find any info for ya, but i think youre right about the chunk being broke off. But i think the light on the other side also has to have a polarizing filter. Thats why people use laptop screen set at a 45 degree angle from you.

yankieman

I am pretty sure that all tanks ABOVE 10 gal are non tempered EXCEPT!!!! the bottom ,, you might try calling the manufacturer to see for sure,,, i have drilled many tanks and all except for 10 gal tanks have been non tempered on front, back and sides and tempered on the bottom ,, most or all 10 gal tanks are tempered on all the glass as far as i know,,,,

Last edited:

degibson84

I am pretty sure that all tanks ABOVE 10 gal are tempered EXCEPT!!!! the bottom ,, you might try calling the manufacturer to see for sure,,, i have drilled many tanks and all except for 10 gal tanks have been non tempered on front, back and sides and tempered on the bottom ,, most or all 10 gal tanks are tempered on all the glass as far as i know,,,,

I know its early in the morning and i may just be reading this wrong but you are saying in the first sentence that all tanks are tempered except the bottom? I am under the assumption that only the bottoms of tanks are tempered.

but then you go on to say tanks are non tempered on front back and sides over 10 gallons.

The manufacture is out of business and I have no way to contact them

SubRosa

No way a tempered piece of glass will lose a chunk without shattering. You can safely assume the sides are not tempered.

yankieman

I know its early in the morning and i may just be reading this wrong but you are saying in the first sentence that all tanks are tempered except the bottom? I am under the assumption that only the bottoms of tanks are tempered.

but then you go on to say tanks are non tempered on front back and sides over 10 gallons.

The manufacture is out of business and I have no way to contact them

Yes you are correct i did say that wrong , I ment all tanks are only tempered on the bottom ,, thank you for correcting me I didnt type what i was thinking , I left the non out of the first sentence,,,,i have edited it ,

degibson84

Yes you are correct i did say that wrong , I ment all tanks are only tempered on the bottom ,, thank you for correcting me I didnt type what i was thinking , I left the non out of the first sentence,,,,i have edited it ,
I am just overly paranoid as i dont eant to find out it is tempered the wrong way

degibson84

looks like they were bought out by Perfecto but i can't even find a website for Perfecto to try and contact them

jerry26

Last night while i was trying to find some info, one guy said he shattered his 55gal odell when he tried to drill. But tempered 55's are apparently common and seem to be an exception.

degibson84

Last night while i was trying to find some info, one guy said he shattered his 55gal odell when he tried to drill. But tempered 55's are apparently common and seem to be an exception.
I think i read that same thread. I need to find a sure fire way to find out if it is tempered or not because im ready to pull the trigger on glass-holes.com kit for this tank. I would much rather go this way than an overflow box. i need to find polarized sunglasses cause i know i had an old pair that you could see the rainbow affect looking at rear windows of cars while driving

degibson84

Here is a picture of the chipped edge. Not sure if you can see but there is like a perfect circle formed in the middle of the side pane

E9334FBA-D375-4663-9AA8-B3B278D7D370-6216-000009BFCBC5A4D3_zpscb4b561a.jpg

yankieman

I think its still just the bottoms not the sides that are tempered,,and as i have stated i have the experience of drilling over 20 tanks with at least 5 being 55 gal ,,,,,
so i guess this is just a matter of opinion,, i guess degibson84 will just have to research it himself i wont offer no more ideas,,

but i did do a ask.com and got this as answer check out these sites
Is a 72-inch all-glass aquarium tempered? | Answerbag
Should you use tempered glass to make an aquarium
Is a 72-inch, all-glass aquarium tempered? | Answerbag
- Types of Tanks

Putt

The O’dell tanks were manufactured by Mr. Clark O’dell inSaginaw, Michigan. He was one of thefirst to perfect all glass aquariums. Hebuilt several custom tanks for me in the early “70’s”. He sold his company to a large aquarium manufacturein the late 1970’s or early 1980’s, but I can’t remember the company’s name.