Are macro bellows worth buying?

I have a Nikon D60 and I really enjoy taking macro shots. the only problem is the cost of macro lenses. I know I am probably sacraficing something by using the Macro bellows. but it has to be an improvement to using screw on macro filters. So What are the cons of using macro bellows?

XBwlr

I use adapter rings. The kit came with (2)20mm, 10mm, and a 5mm.
If you use 50mm of adapter with a 50mm lens you get a 1:1 ratio. You have to get close to the subject, but, you get some really interesting shots.

we are talking extension tubes right? What is the name of the kit?
I was thinking of going this route but the ability to change the bellows "tube" length sounds like it would give more options than the extension tubes. I am a noob with DSLR cameras so i could have this all wrong. :turntable

XBwlr

Yea. That's what they're called. The name of them slipped my mind when I posted earlier. I reckon I'm getting old. :/

I've had the set for years... I used them with an old Canon A1 35mm. Now that I've switched to the DSLR, I use an adapter that lets me use my old lenses on it.
Anyways... I don't really see how the bellows would be much of a help with taking pictures of the tank. When I use the extension tubes, I have to hold the lens on the glass just to get close enough to get anything in focus. If it's in the back of the tank, I have to move it forward to get it. Seems like the bellows would do the same thing. What are the specs of it? How much extension does it have? Least / Most

I have not found one in particular yet but they look like the range is pretty big. I copied this from this website Nikon F and F2 Bellows and Slide Units

PB-4 Bellows
Bellows Focusing Attachment PB-4
This is the most versatile of all the Nikon Bellows Focusing Attachment. Depth of field can be increased and converging lines corrected for with the swing or shift of the front lens board. It has dual twin tracks. On the lower track, the camera and lens can be moved as a single unit for fine focusing adjustment without changing the lens-to-film distance.

The camera can be attached or detached from the bellows, or turn to a vertical or horizontal format any position on the track. Duplication of 35mm film can be made readily with Model PS4 or Model PS-5 Slide Copying Adapters. Reproduction ratios with a 50mm f/2 lens ranges from 1/1.2 to 3.6X. Reverse the lens and reproductian ratios can range from 1.6 to 4.4X. attachment weighs 42.3 oz. (1,200 g).
pb4bellow.jpg

XBwlr

You'll probably have to get real close with that too. I like the fact that the bottom rail allows you to move the camera instead of the tripod.

Yeah, It looks like I would be running into a distance issue. plus i was reading that i would loose all of the nice lens functions.(i dont mind controling aperature and focus but i think the aperature is electronicly controlled on that lens.)
Thank you for your input BTW.:clink:

What do you think about telemacro. I keep seeing this Sigma 70-300 for less than 200 dollars. would it work for reef aquarium macro photos?

XBwlr

I've never used one... sorry.
But, I've read that Sigma does make a good lens.

I'm sure any macro lens would work for the tank.

You're welcome... I wish I could be more of a help.