Are Crabs Really Evil?

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Here is a hitchhiker that has alluded me and my sister's family for over a year. It started out as the tiniest little thing and grew into a brave monster. She would come out lights on, but would run back if she saw us. One evening, I found her after lights off grabbing pinchers full of micro stars out of the sand bed and happily munching away. Dragging what she could back into the rock work. We started the quest with traps...she would crawl partway in and change her mind. Well, our quest was complete yesterday when we decided to take out the rock she lived in. We poured fresh water on top of her (we could see her through 2 holes and watched her bathe).....when that didn't get her out, we poured soda water right on top of her....still she wouldn't budge. We took a skewer and tried to encourage her out. Finally, she moved enough that we were able to get the skewer behind her and push her out of her hole. Gads! She wasn't as big as we originally thought, but she sure was evil looking..... (this thread is dedicated to Wit :) ).

The first picture is her finally coming out of the rock...

Witfull

ahhhh the sweet smell of victory!! yes that does look like an evil lil bugger! congrats on a fun crab hunting event...im sure it will be memorable for a long time,,,i remember my first crab. now to sundry and coat with clear nail polish and mount....lol

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
That is one scary looking crab !!:eek:
Sorry don't know what it is but I'm sure Wit will know :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Maxx

This is one occaission wher having a mantis could be a good thing...
Nick

Witfull's most wanted criminal is under arrest!!I say from now on let wiitfull keep records and pictures of all them.
Hey Witfull that's one more crab I don't have to worry no more!
Nikki I'm glad you got this guy out of your tank!:D :D

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Congrats on the succesful capture Nikki:)

Wit, how many crabs have you dried and mounted like that?:D

addict

This is one occaission wher having a mantis could be a good thing...
Heheh... :D
Well... I used to think the same thing, but here's a picture that illustrates just what happens when you put a crab and a mantis together in the same breeder box...
Those crabs are some tough mutha's. :D
These were two hitchhikers I got in a shipment of live rock (and before I had a sump so they were put together in the breeder box). The crab lives in my sump to this day, and will probably live in the next one as well. He's great at scavenging the meaty bits that get washed down there during feedings.

Maxx

must have been a spearer type mantis. Either way something nasty was gonna die.

Nick

addict

Yep, it was. :)
It surprised the heck out of me that the duel ended up this way, but I was also kinda sad that I couldn't do a small nano with the mantis in it. :(
If it was a clubber then the crab would probably have been a nice dinner :)