Are chiller thermometer's accurate?

I have a 1/15 JBJ arctica chiller but it's the older version that's not digital. It has a knob temperature setting. I've had it set at 77 for about 2 hours and yet my water is 81.8 and hasn't changed. I've moved it down to 76 now but not much change. Do most people with chillers set the chiller temp lower than the desired temp?

I can tell my chiller chills the water but it goes off for about 3-4 minutes at a time and turns off. Im not sure what's going on.

I have the digital one and you have to set the temp of your tank first. Its it the same with yours? As I have said mine never strays more then 1 degree. Maybe someone with the old version can give you some help.

Hmm, nope no setting for the older ones. I have the manual and its just really setting it at the desired temp. It works cause i hear the buzzing when its cooling and the water temp starts going down in my tank. (Got a digital thermometer in the display)

The problem is, the buzzing goes on for about 2-3 minutes, brings the water down from 82 to 81.2 (evn though i set it at 75 on the chiller) and turns off, allowing the water temp to rise again. And then it'll come back on later... same process.

Wonder if the thermometer is faulty and needs replacing.

I would try another thermometer first. If you get the same temp then there is probably something wrong with the chiller. I have read that a lot of the chillers get damaged in shipping. How long have you had it? Is it still under warranty.

tnwillia

I use my chiller temp LED reading as my primary temp gauge. I have another digital temp gauge to check it in my sump. It's going to take it a bit to get down from 82 to 77 but once it gets there it should stablize. Here is my temp check backup, little cheap digital but works fine.

Does your book tell you what range it will keep the temp, +/-1, +/-2 from the set point? Have fun!

Coralife Digital Thermometer

Thanks for the help. I actually have been using a brand new one of that Coralife digital thermometer. So I left it chilling set at 76 overnight and its been over 12 hours and the water temp is 80.x degrees. Great...
For anyone running a chiller, does the hose feel cold to the touch when coming back into the tank? My hoses inlet and outlet both feel the same and somewhat lukewarm.

My hoses are not warm but there not cool either. When the chiller is working properly they shouldn't be much difference in the temp of the hoses. If there was that would mean the chiller is not turning on in till the temp goes way up. I remember when I added my chiller the tank was at 84 and it only took a few hours to get it down to 76. I am no expert but I would say there is something wrong.

When I first put my hand in the tank after I added the chiller the water felt so cold compared to 84. Not thinking it would be that kind of shocked me.

tnwillia

+1 with JJ, in 12 hours it should have been at your set point and stayed +/-. Assuming you got it used, no idea where to get it serviced although you may be able to talk to JBJ and see if they can help you. Good luck!

Thanks tnwillia. I did buy used and called up the previous owner and he's a real nice guy so we're trying to get it resolved. I may have to try backwashing it out with some vinegar as described in the troubleshooting guide. Also, thanks for that digital controller upgrade link!

I have the hood off, protein skimmer off, powerhead off, heater off, and only the 2 circulation pumps on since yesterday and its running around 80-81. I cant start any of those back up until I resolve this issue and dont want to jump the gun and buy a new chiller cause they are expensive!

Im going to give JBJ a call tomorrow and see if they have any ideas.