Are Blennies ok with clams?

SeahorseBT

I have heard that because clams grow algae on their shells, blennies sometimes try to eat it off which may not stress the clam right away, but if repeated may harm it. Any personal experience among you guys? I want to get a Midas blenny but am not sure if my croceas will be ok...

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Midas blennies are not strict herbivores and I would think that one would be fine around clams. I can not say for sure, as you know each fish has it's own preference towards feeding behavior. I believe Lynn (lcstorc) has 2 Midas blennies in her 125 with clams.

BarbMazz

I have a midas blenny and I don't know that I've seen it around my clams at all. Mostly he perches in my toadstool leather and different places on the rock. I've never seen him picking at algae at all.

My lawnmower blenny actually sits on my croceas and my derasa and the clams don't seem to mind a bit. They don't do the slam-shut thing.

SeahorseBT

Good to know. I wasn't worried about perching, I just had heard the algae thing. The LFS I work at has 2 so once they are out of QT one of them might have to come home with me.

BarbMazz

My midas blenny is a very cool fish. He has a ton of personality. So beautiful swimming around, and his goofy blue eyes and silly mouth are the best! You'll love yours, I'm sure. And the beautiful gold color is very flashy in a tank.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Generally, fish that inhabit different levels of the water column do not compete for territory thus no aggression. BSJF are substrate dwellers and the Midas is a rock/mid water dweller.

SeahorseBT

Not my BSJF. He used to stick at the bottom but now he is always out in the water column. He rarely uses his burrow. That's why I am concerned.

BarbMazz

Bam Bam has spells where he hovers in the water column, and the midas will cruise right on by. Bam Bam just watches him. I've never seen even a hint of aggression. The midas just seems goofy, and Bam Bam is plain old curious.

lcstorc

My midases (sp) are in a different tank than the blues, but they are in with the clams and I have not seen a problem at all. I haven't even seen them use the clams as a lawn chair. Now my clown gobies do but the clams don't seem to mind at all.
Not that it is related but my engineer goby seems to have decided my derasa is prime building material and I think I am aboout to lose the clam. Either he is near the engineer or he is near the red coris sleeping place. Hopefully I have found a good spot and he recoveres. Sorry for the hijack.
My midas don't seem to bother anything in the tank and are wonderful fish to watch.