are bio-balls necessary

MINIATUS

I wouldnt use them.They are high producers of Nitrates. Best filtration is your sand rocks and a good skimmer. JMHO!!!!!!

MINIATUS

BoomerD

Bio-balls are not only NOT necessary, they are not recommended for use with reef tanks. As Miniatus mentioned above, they are so efficient at breaking ammonia into nitrite, into nitrate, unfortunately, they stop at that, and don't break nitrate into nitrogen gas...and they become major nitrate producing factories. Lots of live rock, (1-2 lbs/gallon) and a very efficient protein skimmer makes the best filtration for a reef...

thank you for the info. We have 125 gal tank, 100 lbs live rock , 1 inch live sand (plan to make that 3 inches this weekend). We have a large venuri skimmer. One more question ...talk to me about feeding...I have a juvinile tank, 4 damsels 2 shrimps, 2 goby, 1 blenny, 2 clowns and 5 serpent stars. Presently we are feeding small flake food 2 x per day and frozen premium food.

lcstorc

5 serpent stars? Sorry, but do you know how big they get? I have one in my 125 and frequently debate if I should keep even the one since he is so big. He is still a relative baby and from the end of one leg to the end of another is probably a foot or at least close. Sorry, but just had to mention it.
As to the bio-balls I agree with the above except to mention that most people say they are fine if you are going fowlr. If you want corals then I would definitely not get them. If they are already in the system then I would remove them but slowly. Probably break it into like 5 parts and take one part out each month or so. Keep an eye on your paramaters since removing them once established can start a small cycle. It did in my case anyway. Removing them did however eliminate the nitrate problem I was having in the tank.
Hope that helps.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Apparently, they are not only not necessary but can be a detriment to water quality. I have been removing my bio-balls on a weekly basis and have seen a drop in my nitrate readings, I remove 2-3 handfuls at a time.

lcstorc

Hopefully you are spacing out the removal. I would to a couple of handfuls a month to give your lr a chance to pick up the filtration you are losing. I totally agree with removing them and did so myself but did it too quickly and lost a couple of fish in the process. Remember go slowly.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
For a FO tank they are great for a tank full of sessile and motile inverts they should be avoided since they are very sensitive to nitrate levels.