Aquascaping

Craig Manoukian

How abouit the Great Barrier Reef Aquarium?

cont_long_tourgroup2.jpg

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

tankgirl

Craigy, that german tank has to be bigger than 100 gals!! Guess 400L was wrong. You found some cool pics. Haven't looked at the Arcadia lights but will, thanks!!!

Maxx

of the german tanks, I liked Thomas Lenz's and Uwe Stoll's the best in terms of aesthetics and aquascaping....a little less cluttered I guess.
Nick

tankgirl

Maxx, it's great to hear that! I'm so curious about what everyone likes and why.

One of the things I love about Uwe Stoll's tank and about Luis's tank is that the open, "negative" spaces of the water are interesting shapes on their own.

The rock photo backround in Lenz's tank sort of diminishes it's glory a tad, imo. Also, the even spacing & straight line of the plate corals, in front, bothers me just a bit. My fingers are itching to reach in and change the spacing a little. :D

Last edited:

tankgirl

This tank that we all liked also has that interesting negative space;
This tank is So appealing to me, it almost makes me want to add sand to my tank.

Attachments

• shortfin lionfish.jpg
    shortfin lionfish.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:

tankgirl

One thing I'm really curious about; that last tank, Uwe Stoll's and Luis's all don't have coralline on the back. I gotta ask Luis if he cleaned it (along with the front) or just had so many snails that it didn't form, or (my best guess) he took the pic right after aquascaping and so it hadn't formed yet.

Attachments

• blue throat trigger.jpg
    blue throat trigger.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 251

tankgirl

Uwe Stoll's again to show that 'no coralline' thing and the interesting negative space;

Attachments

• bruce_drew_mirror.jpg
    bruce_drew_mirror.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 250

Craig Manoukian

TGT,

I don't believe that snails are capable of ingesting coraline algae. Better known coraline algaevores are Red leg crabs and Sea Urchins.

:) ;) :p :smirk: :cool:

Maxx

Couple of possibilities re: the lack of coraline algae. Tank may have been recently scraped for pretty pics...also if Alk isnt very high in the system...coraline will not grow....
If any of those systems are low in Alk that may be the major reason why.....
Nick

MtnDewMan

Tankgirl, you sure started up a heck of a thread here. I just joined up here after a friend told me to come take a look at the site. Very nice.

And thanks for starting out the thread with my tank :) :) Awesome tanks in this thread for sure.

Maxx

Craig,
Nice concept of the aquarium in a dome....logistical nightmare to execute. I dont even want to think about the planning and damage/contingincy planning that would entail, let alone regular maintenance. Wow...
Nice looking though...
Nick