Aquascaping question

JeffJ

Do you guys use the glass to support the rock at all or is it all free standing? I don't have any intention of adding one of those pvc racks. I can only assume that my rocks are just poorly shaped and that I need to get some base rock.

Gina

RS STAFF
We did use the back of the tank for some support but, most of the support comes from just placing the rock into place and making sure it is stable. We have our largest pieces on the bottom with smaller ones working up.

reefrunner

Contributing Member
I don't put any rock against the glass to facilitate waterflow around the rock. If you put your rock against the back glass you will have alot of detritus build up behind your aquascaping.

Cougra

I personally do have my rock against the back glass of my tank, however, I have also created a spray bar along the back bottom of the tank to help reduce the amount of debris that settles behind everything.

The only reason I have anything piled against the glass is because I have a narrow tank (12 inch front to back) that makes it hard for me to have everything sitting in the middle of the tank while allowing room for fish to swim.

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
I have the larger pieces of LR on the glass for stability and keep most of the LR off the back glass and also have a spray bar at the back bottom to push current to the front of the tank. Makes for great circulation around the whole reef. :)

Witfull

at the bottom my rock is away from the glass but as it goes up, i do use the back for added support.

mick77

I may have been reckless in my aquascaping, but I have some rock stacked against the back glass. However, I put the rock in first, then the sand to help with support. I haven't noticed any Nitrate spikes, but it may be too early yet. I also have my sump return pump for ciculation and two maxi-jets.

jks1

I agree with Wit- I have some smaller pieces at the top against the back glass. Just make sure you leave as many through-ways as possible, your fish will like it and more importantly it will reduce the amount of detritus building in the rock good luck