Aquarium In Apartment?

ChitownRomeo

Hey you guys think a 50 gallon saltwater tank with 40 pounds of live rock and 50 pounds of Live sand is too much weight for a third floor apartment? It's wood floors, up against a wall that also matches the wall on the second and first floor so I'm thinking it's a load bearing wall. Was built in 1921 also. Wife is scared it's going to go straight thru the floor....

kare-bear

Some apartment contracts specifically state no aquariums in the lease. Yes, that will be heavy, and some building managers worry about leaks. Hard to say because of older building codes etc. figure out your exact weight, don't ask your building manager if you don't want to hear a 'no'.

Mike Johnson

Let me ask you this, would you sit in a chair there and have someone sit in your lap? Same thing. I'm sure you'll be alright, you're only talking 500 pounds or so.

StirCrayzy

Yeah I agree with Mike, it's not the weight as much as the apartment's insurance policies. In my old two story apt, they said no more than 100 total gal. across 4' length, and 65g across 3' length, And they told me which walls and what direction I could place it.
It is all about the insurance and building structure, which is best answered by the one who hold the blueprints. It's worth asking and finding out exactly, because it could make the difference in who is liable for a claim if something did go wrong.

wscttwolfe

I would be more scared about the cost of water damage if there was a leak. 50 gallons of water can pack a punch when it travels through three floors of old wooden floorboards.

I tried adding my tank as a rider on my renters insurance policy, and they had no idea how to handle the request. They couldn't even tell me what would happen if there was a leak, but I have my tank in an apartment with concrete between floors

ChitownRomeo

I would be more scared about the cost of water damage if there was a leak. 50 gallons of water can pack a punch when it travels through three floors of old wooden floorboards.

I tried adding my tank as a rider on my renters insurance policy, and they had no idea how to handle the request. They couldn't even tell me what would happen if there was a leak, but I have my tank in an apartment with concrete between floors

Ok thanks

reefle

Yes ask about that and the sub flooring. Mines concrete as well and I therefore I felt safter. Still put it in a corner so there's more support though.