aquapure filters no nitrates started in march 2010

donj4077

I HAVE A AQUAPURE FILTER.:dance: I STARTED IT IN MARCH 2010 MY NITRATES WERE AT 20 PPM. BY MAY DOWN TO 0-.25 NOW AT ZERO. IT WORKS WELL THE ONLY DOWN SIDE I SEE IS PH DROP TO 78-79 IN A WEEK. I BUFFER IT 1 OR 2 TIMES A WEEK. I WANT TO THE SANTA MONICA THREAD LOOKS LIKE THE SCRUBBER WILL RAISE PH, IM THINK I WILL TRY THIS WITH THE AQUAPURE. ANY IDEAS OUT THERE WOULD BE THANK FULL.:drunk:

DaveK

Are you talking about Aquapure water filters for you home water supply?

If your filtering that water and using it to mix salt, it is unlikely that is causing your pH drop.

Actually 7.8 - 7.9 isn't that bad. I would be looking more into water circulation problems, rather than a direct pH problem. Often this sort of drop is caused by poor gas exchange. (CO2 out and O2 in).

Also how did you measure your pH? You test kit might be bad.

donj4077

DENITRATOR filter it is known to lower ph! no co2 used i have 4 wave makers 1400 gph, 1250 sump pump, chiller 1/3 hp, ESHOPPS S-200 in sump protein skimmer, PH CONTROLLER & ORP MONITOR. 12000 WATT BACK UP GEN, ATF,AUTO FEEDER, TWO TEMP CONTROLLERS HEATERS & CHILLER. SORRY FOR NOT BEING CLEAR ON WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT

DaveK

Possibly this is the product your talking about? (offsite link) - Aquaripure Nitrate Filter: Products

Yes, the ideal pH is 8.3, but 7.8 7.9 isn't that far off. The worst mistake you can make is to obsess over it and start doing all sorts of stuff to get it "just right". As long as the live stock is doing well, make any adjustments very slowly and carefully.

Considering the flow rate through a denitrification filter, I don't think that is your problem. Yes they can sometimes lower pH depending upon the method used internally, but usually water changes will keep up with that.

At this point, I'd just make regular water changes, and monitor pH. You could add an algae scrubber if you want to. It's sure not going to hurt anything, and it might help.

You could also have a problem with CO2 if your keeping the tank in an area that doesn't get a lot of air exchange with outside air. Sometimes all you need to do is open a window.

Since you have a pH controller, you should be able to calibrate that, and watch your pH swing during the day. You might find that you are within normal ranges, and don't ned to do anything.

donj4077

thanks for your input. how low of ph is bad? i have sps,lps and soft corals and 15 fish. after 1 and half weeks ph dropped to 7.72. i don't want to wait to long to raise ph. its 95 degrees here so opening windows would raise tank temp. tank chiller wouldn't keep up, let alone me. this would be worse, maybe than ph drop. so will the scrubber raise ph, like opening a window? or maybe as high as 8.2 or not? the size of the scrubber would be 22" long x 6" high.
right now nitrates 0-.15 kdh 8 salt 1.026 temp 76.6 low 78.1 high orp 365-407 meg 1300 cal 380-420 metal halogen lights on 8 hours, h5 lights on an hour before and an hour after, moonlights the rest of the time. thanks.

donj4077

Possibly this is the product your talking about? (offsite link) - Aquaripure Nitrate Filter: Products

sorry yes.

DaveK

While you want to keep working on pH, your current pH isn't that bad. even if we say it's 7.7, that only .5 from 8.2, which would be considered ideal. In other words, don't panic.

If the fish and corals are doing ok, do not attempt to quickly adjust pH. As I pointed out this could be caused by higher than normal CO2 in the room, simply because you have the place all closed up. You just need to exchange some air, you need not leave a window open, at least not as far as a test goes. Open a couple of windows, so you get some cross ventilation, when there is some wind outside, and close them in 15 min or so. Then see if your pH rises. If it does, you have a problem with too much CO2 in the room.

Also, your pH will rise and fall during the day. What are the high and low readings? If the high reading is ok, you should be fine.

donj4077

Ph Range 7.7 - 8.02 Open Windows For A Hour Temp Drop Outside To 75. Ph Before Windows Open 8.02 In A Hour Or So 8.07 Ligths On For 5 Hours.

DaveK

Yea, a lot of the pH changes in SW occur due to the reaction of CO2 and the carbonates in the system. So getting CO2 out of the room can raise pH.