AquaC XP Plus or PhosBan Reactor 150

Which Reactor would you recommend?

• AquaC XP Plus Phosphate Reactor

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • PhosBan Reactor 150

Votes: 13 81.3%

• Total voters

Nervoustime

I have read a lot about the Phosban Reactor 150, but I have not seen much feeback on the AquaC XP Plus. I am looking to purchase a reactor to help control the phosphate in a 90 gallon tank. Any recommendations on the AquaC? Which product would you recommend? Thanks guys.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Reza they are basically the same. I have the Phosban reactor. The Phosban reactor is easy to set up, has an in-line valve, that fits the 1/2" tubing, for controlling the flow. I don't think you could go wrong with either one. The Phosban reactor is a little more affordable than the Aqua C XP.

BHinAK

I have both, just got the 150 this week, its small. It is full in the picture with the whole 150gram jar of phosban.

The lid is screw on for the 150 but the larger aquaC has a (tab in slot) type lid.

100_0405.JPG

I think the aquaC has more flexability in useage than the 150.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Be sure to take into consideration the size of your tank and the amount of space you have to house the reactor.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I have both, just got the 150 this week, its small. It is full in the picture with the whole 150gram jar of phosban.

The lid is screw on for the 150 but the larger aquaC has a (tab in slot) type lid.

100_0405.JPG

I think the aquaC has more flexability in useage than the 150.

BHinAK can these two be daisy chained together and run off one pump?

BHinAK

Normally yes, but, the flow rate for the 150 per the instructions using Phosban material is only 30gph yes 30gallons per hr. The instructions say at a faster flow the tumbling of the material will grind it in to powder which is bad.

The 150 comes with a in-line ball valve. It is rated for upto a 150g tank and will hold up 200g of phosban. Mine came with one 150g jar and the fish collection CD. Note: the cd is so old it was made for windows 3.0 on a 386 / 486 computer

I bought both to try them out. They are both good but the aquaC has more Mod- ability

Nervoustime

BHinAk, Can you please give me the height on the AquaC XP? I know that the diameter is 4", but I don't know the height of the reactor. Also, what pump do you use on your AquaC? I will be using Rowaphos with either of the units. Thanks for the information guys.

BHinAK

15 inches to the top of the right angled tubing connections. I use a Penguin 1140 ph. I think the flow rate for that was 300gph minus say 2 ft head. In that one I was using Seachem phosban.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I have two phosban reactor 150's daisy chained for my 150gal system. They work very well. They have more than enough space to hold enough media for phosban and carbon. A mini-jet 606 powers mine. As far as media space, I only use 1/4 - 1/2 filled with carbon and a full jar of phosban uses only 1/5 - 1/4 of the space.
Unless you have a HUGE system, the phosban 150 reactor will work great.

jg2269jg

hey i have the nautilus phospate reactor i have a question can you put carbon and phosban together in the chamber or is that not recommended
thanks

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
hey i have the nautilus phospate reactor i have a question can you put carbon and phosban together in the chamber or is that not recommended
thanks

Actually. Julian Sprung said you can put the two medias in one Phosban reactor. They have to be seperated, preferably with the carbon on the top, with a filter sponge. This makes maintenance harder though. Having two seperate reactors makes for ease of maintenance. In fact, I bet in the near future we will see reactors that hold more than one media.:)

Also, looking at that picture of the two reactors side by side, how can the Aqua C have a 4" diameter while the Phosban reactor has a 4 1/2" footprint? The phosban reactor looks like it would fit inside the Aqua C.:invisible

lcstorc

That's a pretty cool idea. Not sure if I would risk it though. The reactors aren't that expensive. I can just see something happening to the bottle or the top and water goes everywhere. Guess I am just paranoid.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
They are pretty simple devices. I just like the industrial, clean look of the reactor. Don't want my tank looking like a Frankenstein of spare parts. It's very ingenuitous and would work in a pinch or for someone on a budget. It's a good idea for my QT tank though.:)

DrHank

It's also really good if you're working in a tight spot and don't have much extra room (like maybe a ten gallon sump with a return pump and skimmer). Boy, I can hardly wait to get my 210 running. I won't be cramped any more!