AquaC RemoraPro vs CPR BackPak 2R

novanosis

Which is better and why.

If anyone has it please let me know what to expect.

I currently am using a Super Skimmer 125.

ZAPCOnj

I have been using CPR skimmers on all of my tanks. They are easy to set up and maintain. the collection cup is easy to clean and set up. (slide it up or down to get the skimmate you want)

construction IMO is very good. and as long as you keep the pump clean it's pretty quiet. I clean the cup on my 40 breeder every 2 or 3 days. the gf's 90 gal tank i clean the cup every 2 days (she over feeds alot) on her 60 gal tank i clean that cup every 3 days or so.

none of them have ever given me any problems leaking or failing. i can honestly say that from day 1 i've plugged them in. adjusted the collection cup and never looked back.

I can not comment on the AquaC as i have never used it.

gl in your search.

I was running the CPR bak pak on my 25 gallon tank but upgraded to the remora pro...and I don't think i ever could go back.

i dont think you can fairly compare the remora pro which is rated to 100g to the Bak pak which is rated to 60 gallons.

The CPR worked pretty well (i was able to consistently get some skimmate) but there were several things that i didn't like, the venturi air intake made a loud hissing sound even with the silencer on, the return tube created a noticeable splashing sound in my tank and a decent amount of salt creep from all the bubbles that popped. The surface skimmer and bubble trap really helped the performance of the BAK PAK, and there are several easy DIY mods that can significantly improve the skimmer. but I was able to get a great deal on a remora pro and couldnt pass it up,

The remora pro absolutely WTF PWNS the BAK PAK in skimmate production (again not fair comparing the 2 skimmers) I used to run the bak pak 24/7 Now I run the remora for only 8 hrs/day and get way more and a higher quality skimmate. There is a simple mod that significantly decreases the sound of the remora injector, but the pump I use is louder and MUCH bigger than what the bak pak runs. The overflow on the remora is absolutely silent, i am still amazed how quiet it is.

So if you can afford it I say go with the remora! although you would probably be just fine with a bak pak, you can get a bak pak for pretty cheap ~100 online. You may also look for a used one, the going rate for bak paks in San Diego is $40-50. and 70-100 for the remora

novanosis

I would chose one of these over the two listed. Just about the same price to.

Warner Marine H1 Hang on Back HOB Protein Skimmer* - AquaCave

Octopus HB 800S Hang on Back Protein Skimmer with Sicce Pump by CoralVue* - AquaCave

I would go with the Octo personally. I have had the Remora before and it did a great job on my 40g.

I was reading on that octo and I heard I have to modify it so reduce or eliminate micro bubbles. I want no bubbles as my SS125 just loves throwing those bubbles in the tank.

Who ever is going to recommend something I would also like to know if you get any micro bubbles. Thank you.

ZAPCOnj

that is something of a trick question. when you start up a skimmer for the first time you almost always get some micro bubbles for a day or two. after they break in usually the bubbles stop. once in a while after a cleaning of the skimmer you will get bubbles again. you will sometimes get bubbles when dosing some additives to a tank.

that said. after the break in period. I have no microbubbles from any of my cpr skimmers. I do however get some bubbles when i do a good cleaning of the skimmers. I run my skimmer in my sump so if there are any, the microbubbles never reach my DT

novanosis

that is something of a trick question. when you start up a skimmer for the first time you almost always get some micro bubbles for a day or two. after they break in usually the bubbles stop. once in a while after a cleaning of the skimmer you will get bubbles again. you will sometimes get bubbles when dosing some additives to a tank.

that said. after the break in period. I have no microbubbles from any of my cpr skimmers. I do however get some bubbles when i do a good cleaning of the skimmers.

Hey Zap!

If i get the CPR and it turns out to be crap will you buy it from me? LOL

I hear mixed reviews, but you are firm on the product so I will probably go with it.

GOD I HOPE SO!

ZAPCOnj

I am just sharing my experiences. :D everyone has their favorites until they fail then they find a new favorite ;)

OHreefer

I've heard great things about Remora, but haven't used one. I have a Bakpak myself, after a friend's insistence. My tank is a newer setup, but seems to be doing quite well.