Aqua Illumination Prime or Hydra

neebs

All,

Would really appreciate some help with my new build.

I'm moving from my RSM 250 to a Cadlight Artisan II 2015 125 G - http://www.cadlights.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=61_62&products_id=314

The tank is a piano white finish and I want my LED lights to match. To this end, i really like the aesthetic of having a few Aqua Illumination Prime set up next to each other. Alternatively, I was thinking of doing a couple of Hydra 26 or 52.... i'm just not sure how much lighting i need.

I plan on doing some sps, but will mostly be LPS. The tank dimensions are (59.5” x 23.5” x 20”)

Do you think the Prime's will do the trick or do i need to go for something stronger. How many primes next to each other do i need?

Thanks a ton!

DaveK

The AI Prime fixtures are really not going to work that well on a 125 gal tank. If you look at the structure of a Prime they are about 1/4 of a Hydra 54 with a built in controller. While they would be a good choice for a nano, in my opinion they are something way too small for a 125.

Just to give you an idea. I have a 125 gal reef system. I was running 6 original Hydrast. I currently run 4 Hydra 54 fixtures on it and I get excellent light with no dim areas.

Now depending upon your tank, you may get away with less than I did, but you should be thinking in those kind of terms for lighting.