aqua C remora HOB skimmer

bsylv91

does anyone here have an Aqua C Remora protein skimmer? im looking to upgrade to that from my coralife protein skimmer because it looks like it takes up almost no space in the display tank. I was wondering though, are there upgrades for the aqua C that i havent seen that are necessary like a bubble trap or something? or a new pump? is the aqua C remora HOB gunna put out alot of micro bubbles? just lookin for general knowlege, thanks.

lcstorc

I have 2 and both work great.
The only real space it takes in the tank is for the pump which is a standard MaxiJet. I forget if it is a 900 or 1200. I have no upgrades on mine though I believe there is a surface skimmer option available. The only micro bubbles I have seen were in the first week or so. Once it broke in no bubbles at all.
To say it simply, I liked the first one enough that when I set up another small tank, I got another Aqua C.

peapod13

I have one also. Mine has the maxijet 900 and the surface skimmer attachment. I think it works pretty good (Although having not been in the hobby long (10 months), I haven't had a different kind of skimmer to compare it to.)

Two things I've noticed: 1) The instructions said to clean it often. I break mine completely down about once a month and clean it. (It's kind of hard to find a bottle brush the right shape to clean down inside the body.) If I don't it seems to produce less skimmate, but maybe that's just me imagining it.?
2) If you decide to get the surface skimmer, plan on keeping your tank topped off basically every day. On warm days when the fans are running and more water evaporates, I have to top off atleast twice a day. There isn't alot of margin of error between having it too full (doesn't skim the surface very well) and having it run the pump dry.

For what it's worth, I remember reading bad things about the Rio when I was researching the purchase of mine, although Rio may have fixed those problems. (To be honest, I don't even remember for sure what the problem was, either the pumps just weren't lasting that long or they were putting stray voltage in the tank or something.)

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't hesitate.

Rhodes19

+1

I have the Nano on my 29 and it works fine. Micro bubbles the first week but none after that. I haven't seen much skimmate recently so I probably need to break it down and clean it. I recommend it.

ashiqman

The revolutionary AquaC protein skimmers do not use venturis, downdraft tubes, or air pumps; they employ the patented "Spray Injection System." This innovation allows the protein skimmer to efficiently draw in much more air than any other of the top protein skimmers. This coupled with the superiorly designed compact reaction chamber yields results that will literally blow the waste out of your water.

"For its compact size and simple design, The AquaC protein skimmer is able to process a large volume of water and efficiently remove organic pollutants. I`m very happy with it!"
Fernando Nosratpour, Senior Aquarist
Birch Aquarium at Scripps

If you are searching for the most compact, efficient, and powerful hang-on-tank skimmer on the market, look no further. AquaC has finished development of the Remora Pro- the most radical design in skimming to date! Using the same patent pending spray-induction system as their acclaimed in-sump skimmers, AquaC`s Remora Pro is simply the best hang-on available today. The Remora Pro is rated for tanks 40 to 120 gallons and requires a scant 3.25" clearance from the back of the tank. That is slim! You`ll appreciate its low profile, only 7.5" of vertical clearance is required. The Pro comes standard with a low-wattage, yet forceful Rio 1400 or Mag Drive 3 pump, adjustable collection cup, and a special baffle system which prevents any bubbles from entering the aquarium. The Remora Pro produces so much foam you won`t believe it till you see it in operation. The Remora Pro is only 21.5" x 7.5" x 3.25". That`s right, it is still one of the smallest hang-on skimmers in the industry. This is made possible due to the use of the effiicient spray-induction system found on all AquaC skimmers.

The AquaC Remora Series is the first hang-on protein skimmer under $250 to be able to generate a dry consistency of foam that previously only an in-sump "super-skimmer" is capable of. This is especially true of the AquaC Remora Pro.

csmsss

I have one on the back of my 30 gallon reef tank. Mine is the version with the Rio power head and it's probably way overkill for a 30 gallon tank, but boy it works great! I never had any issue with microbubbles at all, but am not sure if that had to do with using the preskimmer box or not.

In any case, I highly recommend this skimmer. It's super-easy to adjust, easy to empty the skimmate, and works extremely effectively.

fivel

I run 2 with the 1200 pumps on the back of my 125 gallon and they are still working great 4+ years later. I definitely recommend them from my personal experience.

avaloncourt

We've had one with a 1200 for going on 3 years and it has worked perfectly with no troubles at all.

After the garbage we've owned before the Remora we are so happy to have it.

Dfrom513

I've been running my Aqua C for a week now and from day 1 it's had a tremendous amount of bubbles. I mean my tank is literally cloudy with bubbles. and it hasn't improved and today seemed to get worse. what's going on here? I looked up tanks on youtube who has them running I would kill for them few bubbles. please help

Rhodes19

I've been running my Aqua C for a week now and from day 1 it's had a tremendous amount of bubbles. I mean my tank is literally cloudy with bubbles. and it hasn't improved and today seemed to get worse. what's going on here? I looked up tanks on youtube who has them running I would kill for them few bubbles. please help

First, :welcomera to RS!!

Give it about 2 weeks for a break in period. Most skimmers make lots of micro bubbles when new. Is it on a new or an existing tank?