aptasia out of control

sorcerer

Court Computer Wiz
Originally posted by zy112
thanks for the link... i may have misunderstood this product. do you have to actually inject it into the aptasia like you would kalk? i was under the impression you just added it to the water

If you are refering to the Joe's Juice product you don't actually inject the aptasia, you use the syringe supplied to squirt a little of the juice at the aptasia's mouth and they will suck it right in. Makes it a world easier to use than actually having to inject the little buggers. Some will get loose into the water, but you don't actually add it to the water like an additive or medical treatment
HTH

wooddood

the wood dude
:D cool zach sounds like a plan. just add to the thread i have been reading some negative stuff on joe's juice about it affecting other thing in the tank does anyone else ever heard this too?:eek:

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
When I "fed" my tiny aptasia some Joe's Juice, there was a hairy mushroom beside it (downstream). The mushroom never reacted at all so I'm thinking it would take quite a bit to damage a large coral. JMO

sorcerer

Court Computer Wiz
I've used it several times now and haven't observed any ill effects on any corals, fish, clams, or other inverts. I don't have any other anemones in the tank, I do have quite a few mushrooms of different types and they have never reacted at all to it.

zy112

well, having to feed it to every aptasia is going to make it harder but i'll see what happens. what makes aptasia thrive/come into the tank? i'm still going to get a couple peppermint shrimp in hopes of them getting the smaller aptasia that i miss/cant find.

wooddood

the wood dude
thanks walt for the reply much appreciated;) zack good luck buddy let us know how it works for you. i got some live rock that jay [tdevil] gave to me and there were 2 aptaisia that have poped up out of 2 differant rocks so if the juice works i'll have to give it a try. good luck.:D dave]

sorcerer

Court Computer Wiz
As far as what makes aptasia thrive or appear, they can come into the tank on any rock, corals, or even plants that you add. They don't require anything really special to thrive and can survive conditions that kill most everything else in a tank. I've had them attach and live on macroalgae, the tank glass, heaters, return pipes, overflows, rock, sand bed, shells, corals, clams, even had one that traveled around for a little while on my tuxedo urchin.

They don't need much, if any light, they seem to eat anything, and even when you think they have just died out, they spring back to life overnight. They reporduce quickly sometimes and other times there seems to only be one that never spreads.

An older reefer friend of mine said he thinks they will even grow on the carpet near his tank.

wooddood

the wood dude
when i drained my old 55 gal a while back i left about an inch of water in it for couple of weeks, no heater no lights and it thrived so yes they are tuff little boogers.

duuce

I have also used Joe's but I still think my favorite method is the Asfur Angel.You get a beautful fish and a nuissance solver.I have a SPS tank and it never touches my corals as some people might think.Others in our area have used them too with the same effects.

zy112

just got the juice and killed about 100-150 aptasia, some very large and some very small. killed them within 5-20 minutes. my next problem is i have a couple growing out of a zoanthid colony. do you guys think its ok to use it that close. so far so good though

Icebox

Everyone swears by Joes juice...

However, I bought soem a while back, used it on all of my aptaisa, adn now, about a month later, I seem to have as much as I did before I tried it. It may have stunned their growth, but it did not kill them.

Mike

SunnyX

I just got some and this stuff is amazing!!
The greedy Apiasia grabed the tip of the syringe and then I gave a taste of HELL!!!

DIE PAISE DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Scooterman

At one time I though JJ was awesome but to me it all came back in the very same spots. Now I use Kalk Past and it seems to work better but you have to be careful on the amount you use.

zy112

well, it seems some of the aptasia was just stunned or i did not get it well. who knows, i have so many it is never ending. i am seriously considering duuce suggestion and getting an asfur angel. i have quickly develeped a hatred for aptasia.

wooddood

the wood dude
i have also found kalk to be the most effective long term. you just have to dose it a few more times but has always worked for me .:p

zy112

well, i just picked up 3 peppermint shrimp in hopes of them killing the aptasia i cant get to.... their are so many its hard to keep track of them all.

ocporkpie

i had a small problem with aptasia, but rather than going for the juice, i opted for peppermint shrimps. at first i was wholly dissatisfied with my decision as they seemed to eat everthing BUT the aptasia. but withing a couple weeks, all the aiptasia seemed to disappear. i've yet to see them re-emerge. i guess it all depends on the size of your problem.

Ladipyg

How quickly do Aiptasia grow? I have a small anenome type critter on some LR that has Green Metallic Striped Mushrooms on it. I thought the new little ones popping up were also GMSM's because they start out small and transparent you can see striping in the background. They're flat, no stalk and it's taken 10 months for one to get about as big as a dime. You can still make out the stripes in the back, but it has small brown tentacles and the tip is kind of light tan and retracts when touched. Can't get may camera to down load for a picture...may have to run over to a buddy's house and burn a disc for a pic. Does this sound like it will be a problem? The LR is a small piece. Would I be better off removing the shrooms and putting them on another piece of rock and sticking the small piece with the anenomes in a 5 gallon tank I have with a chocolate chip star. (It's a hold over from an old tank I couldn't flush!) Thanks....