Api nitrate test kit

rufus2008

Well I normally use seachem nitrite/nitrate test kit but I ran out and all my lfs had was api so I bought it. Big mistake. Seachem was always testing trates from 80-1605ppm and trites 0ppm. At first api was around the same (trites stayed at 0ppm) but trates went crazy like 80-160ppm crazy. So I ordered another seachem kit, It arrived today and trates are 2ppm and trites are 0ppm. Now I'm calm and don't think I'm an awful saltwater aquarium keeper. Anyone else have similar experiences?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

DaveK

I have had a similar experience with the API nitrate test kit. My experience was similar to yours. I needed the test kit now, and the LFS only had the API.

While I'm not a big fan of API, I don't think it was the companies fault in my case. I suspect that the test kit sat more months or years in the LFS, so the reagents were bad.

If you want to explore the test kits further, try testing your newly mixed SW. That should be 0 if your using RO/DI water. If you see either test kit reading more that a trace, you know it's bad.

I had a similar problem where the api nitrate test worked fine for a long time then all of a sudden it pegged high. The lefs said the have seen that before and they won't even use that test kit. I went with red sea test kit

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

rufus2008

My api kit has an expiry date of 2018 so it should still be "good" but just for the beck of it I'm in the process of collecting water for my next wc so after a couple days when I have enough and salts been added I'll check it like Dave said and see if it reads any differently, I have my doubts though.

rufus2008

I just re-read my first post and it was supposed to say seachem trates tested 0-5ppm and api 80-160ppm. I confused myself reading it.

pgrtgunner

I've also had a problem with API. The use before date is 2016, and it was pegging real high. Did a 10% water change and re-tested, they were still
high, so I took water sample to my fish store. They tested with their API Nitrate test. 0 all of their test solutions came out 0. I had another 2 years on my kit
and now it's in my garbage can.

My problem is; All three fish stores here carry only API :dunno:

StirCrayzy

I've had API kits start reading high trates too for no reason and tossed em after getting confirmed results at LFS. 3 API kits later I can say when this one goes bad I may upgrade, but I think all of mine lasted about 3yrs regardless of the expiration date, so I can't complain for the price.

pgrtgunner

I just had a problem with API.

My nitrate test came out at 80ppm, I did a 20% water change. I took another test a hour later, it read 80ppm. I had another nitrate test from a so-called Master test kit, it read 160ppm.

I took a water test to my people at the store, their test came out at 0ppm. She took a brand new test kit box off of her
shelf and it came out as 80ppm. So she ran a test on the store tanks, and they came out as 160ppm.

You do the math!!

Snid

Hmmm... I use API and have had no problems. So glad to hear about everyone else's problems though, because that tells me that if I see a sudden spike in something and a water change doesn't alter it, that my kit has gone bad most likely.

pgrtgunner

I just bought a new API test kit, and it pegged high.
I think they need to do a recall on their test kits.
This is 3 test kits that I've bought in the last week, and all WERE BAD!!!

Does anyone know this outfit that we can contact and get a fair diagnosis???

Mark

DaveK

I just bought a new API test kit, and it pegged high.
I think they need to do a recall on their test kits.
This is 3 test kits that I've bought in the last week, and all WERE BAD!!!

Does anyone know this outfit that we can contact and get a fair diagnosis???

Mark

As I see things, this is more of a case where everyone should be using a higher quality test kit. Take a look at this web page (offsite) - http://www.marinedepot.com/Nitrate_Test_Kits_for_Saltwater_Aquariums-FITKNA-ct.html

Note the prices of the API test kit verses all the others. The API one is the least expensive by far. The other test kits has a cost at least twice as much. The lab grade test kit by Lamotte is over 9 times the price of the API.

In my opinion, to produce a test kit at that price, corners were cut some place. Multiple people on this forum have reported issues. At this point, I think the best solution for everyone is to ditch the API nitrate test kit and get something worthy of your reef. If you can't find anything else locally, shop online for something else.

Additional information -

Normally I don't post links to other forums, but I'll make an exception here because it's extremely applicable here. This is a method that can be used to calibrate a nitrate test kit (offsite) - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34206&highlight=calibrate

Snid

Thanks, Dave. I'm going to use up my current API test kit for now, but if I can avoid getting more API tests I will. What are your opinions on Salifert?

DaveK

I'd say that except for the nitrate test kit, the rest of the API test kits are at least ok. I would replace the nitrate test kit if you suspect any problems, like seeing reading way too hight or way too low.

Sailfret is a good hobby grade test kit. It's not going to compare to the expensive lab grade test kits, but then Sailfret doesn't cost $85 plus.