anyone using 50mm canon macro?

sanblas

so I found the vivitar/phoenix lens locally and got it yesterday, tried it a bit.
attached is the best pic Ive taken so far with it.

drdrew, any pointers on using it? do you use the 'filter' that comes with it?
I tried using macro mode on the 300d, but it always wants to use the flash. I then tried manual settings and bumped up the ISO and that seemed to help, but Im having a really hard time with the focusing and depth of field.

any tips appreciated and thanks for the advice. I have tried turning the pumps off and cleaning the glass and that helped. Im sure a tripod would help a bunch too :)

Attachments

• newric50k.jpg
    newric50k.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 28

sanblas

couple other decent pics, starting to get a little better, I put it in aperture priority, at 6, then bumped the ISO to 400, seems to be giving me better pics..is there an optimum aperture setting for macro shots?

Attachments

• clown150.jpg
    clown150.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 28
  • zoos150.jpg
    zoos150.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 28

drdrew

you will need a tripod. the reason being that in macro photography, you want to get your f-stop up to increase your depth of field...put the camera on a tripod, set it to Av mode, set the f-stop to f16 or up to f/22. get a remote shutter release. shoot perpendicular to the glass. the exposure will be too long to hand hold. also turn off the pumps.

ReefLady

Staff member
Pretty impressive!

There is no optimal aperture setting for macro shots, the depth-of-field at any given aperture changes depending on magnification.

However, make frequent use of your "depth-of-field preview" button (see manual) - it's one of the most important features of an SLR, and makes a big difference.

sanblas

hey thanks guys, appreciate it, Im going to borrow a tripod today and try it out.

Im attaching a pic I took saturday at a fellow reefers house, it was taken with the kit lense, makes me want to keep seahorses, very photogenic :)

Attachments

• horse250.jpg
    horse250.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 26

sanblas

thanks :) the seahorse was a lucky shot, I was moving around bumping into things and saw him right in front of the glass and took 3 quick shots, that one was the best.

travis and drdrew, what ISO do you normally shoot at? supposedly the 300d doesnt show much if any noise at 400 so should I bump the ISO as far as I can go without noise to decrease shutter speeds?

thanks for all the advice, appreciate it :)

sanblas

borrowed a tripod from work so am using that today, definitely helps
here are a few interesting ones

Attachments

• cup50.jpg
    cup50.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 25
  • ric-2-50.jpg
    ric-2-50.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 25
  • daisy-50.jpg
    daisy-50.jpg