anyone using 50mm canon macro?

sanblas

Hello all,
Im new to the dslr world, just got a rebel today. The macro out of the box is ok, but Ive been using a nikon 4500, and the macro on that is much better than the rebel with the 18-55 (not really surprised since the 4500 is well known as a very good macro camera)

so I'd like to be able to at least replicate the macro ability of my 4500. Ive been reading up and it looks like the 100mm is the way to go, but very pricey for a specialized lense(it would be cheaper for me just to keep my 4500 ;) )

is anyone using the 50mm compact macro lense, and if so, got any examples? that is a little more in my price range and would also be a useful lense to have around for non macro use.

I realize most of you are going to say go with the 100mm...but just thought Id check in and see if anyone was shooting the 50mm

thanks in advance,
sean

ReefLady

Staff member
I don’t have one, but I’ve used it. I don’t think you’d be getting much bang for your buck over the kit lens personally. At least as far as magnification. You have to buy an adapter to bring the 50mm to 1:1, and by then you’re in for almost the same amount as the 100 macro.

The 50mm definitely has better image quality than the 18-55, but I think you’ll be disappointed with the macros you get.

So… as expected… I’m gonna tell you to go for the 100mm macro. You can see lots of examples of my pics with this lens by clicking “view gallery” below my name in this post, also at www.reef-life.com and http://aquaphoto.blogspot.com

T

sanblas

thanks travis, thats what I was afraid of ;) just hard to justify $400 for a lense just to take tank shots

do you use diopters or tubes with your 100mm, or are you using it pretty much on its own for most of your pics.

stunning pics by the way :)

sanblas

travis,
do you have any experience with the tamron 90mm macro, or the sigma macro..Im guessing youre going to say go with the canon, but just wanted to see if you have seen or used either of these.

which camera body do you use by the way?

drdrew

i purchased a "vivitar" 100mm macro and get good shots.
it cost about 130 bux online.

i have the 50mm canon macro. it is a much better lense, but not enough reach for aquarium shooting.

the tamron and sigma are both good macro lenses as well.

technique will be in the end as important as any lense you buy.

here are shots with the 100mm vivitar on a D rebel.

www.lakesidestudio.org

look under "aquatics"

jcoopergd

Hmm....not to hijack your thread - but i have some older canon lenses, including a 50mm w/ f 1.2 - As far as macro lenses, I have 3 canon add on's that thread into the end of the 50mm - they are listed as macro lenses #0, #1, and #2 - they are like 1/4 inch thick each, and just thread onto the 50mm.

Currently the lenses are being sent to me from an ex, but once i get them i was hoping to use them for my tank shots.....are these the right macro lenses? or am i barking up the wrong tree?

j

sanblas

drdrew, thanks for the info and nice shots :)
do you have the specs for that lense? its an autofocus that fits the canon mount?
pics look good with it, might have to look into that one, dont think I can afford the 100mm canon

thanks

sanblas

yeah sorry I was being lazy I found the info, seems to be a well regarded much cheaper alternative to the canon and sigma lenses

so you are happy with the vivitar lense? have you used any of the spendier sigma or canon macro lenses to compare it with?

judging by your pics looks reasonably sharp, especially for the price.
thanks for the heads up on the lense.

ReefLady

Staff member
I think Drew’s got you pretty well taken care of here… the Tamron and Sigmas are generally regarded as equivalent to the Canon, the only real issue being that if you get a new body in the future, the Tamron and Sigma may nor be compatible without sending them to the factory for reprogramming. Same goes for the vivitar.

Jcoopergd, sounds like you’ve shooting with some Canon FD lenses? Film is pretty tough to pull off in aquaria. The adapters for the 50mm are called diopters, they will help you get closer to your subject, thereby increasing magnification. For shorter lenses you want to use the stronger diopters, for longer ones, weaker diopters.

T

sanblas

here are 2 pics that illustrate where im coming from. both are unprocessed taken on basic settings
the first is from the nikon 4500 in macro mode

the 2nd is from the rebel 18-55 in macro mode - it isnt bad but not sharp enough for my liking, especially when cropped in an attempt to make it look more macro than it is

the 3rd is one of my better macro shots with the nikon, this is the quality I'd like to be able to duplicate with the rebel

Attachments

• nikric1.jpg
    nikric1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 49
  • rebric2.jpg
    rebric2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 49
  • candnikon.jpg
    candnikon.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 47

Craig Manoukian

Travis,

I found this Canon EF 100mm Macro lens for $450 at www.pricegrabber.com, what is the consensus on that price?

587963_640.jpg

ReefLady

Staff member
Craig, be safe and stick to adorama.com or bhphotovideo.com there are a lot of sheisters out there and I don't think these guys will be much more than $450.

Craig Manoukian

Thanks Travis,

Any difference between a Canon imported for $450 or one made in the USA for $470? They appear to be exactly the same at B&H.

ReefLady

Staff member
They're exactly the same, except I think there may be warranty issues with the imported one.

drdrew

addition:
the vivitar lense is not as good as the canon. AF is slower. it feels cheaper. but it IS cheaper. i'm just saying if you are on a budget than it can work for you if you learn proper technique. do i want a canon? YES. can i afford it right now? NO. actually, sigma just came out with a 150mm macro that i'm not sure the price, but it's on my short list.