Anyone seen this Crab?

FrostGiant

This isn't from my tank, found it on google, but mine looks just like it. I noticed recently that I have far less hermits walking around and a lack of snails. So I watched the tank last night and found a guy that looks like this. I'm getting him out eventually but I figured I'd post a pic for any curious parties.

KillerCrab.jpg

DrHank

Gorilla crab. Can play havoc with your tank and it's livestock. Best to remove ASAP.

FrostGiant

Working on it. He does stick his nose out at night. I think I can snare him him I have some forceps er something. Otherwise I'll try the glass trick. If anyone has any other ideas I'm all ears. Almost had him last night. He climbed under a piece of live rock but jumped off right as I was pulling it out.

FrostGiant

BTW, I have no plans to keep him in there. I'm almost positive he's eating my hermits and snails and once those are gone he'll move on to my fish or corals.

lcstorc

They are quick little suckers. Harder to catch than you expect. I caught one with food in a net but it took days of trying for him to accept the net and climb onto it to get the food.

FrostGiant

I almost crushed him between some rocks with a chop stick last night and if I had forceps I would have got him. He was all cocky and what not sitting in the crack between some rocks and thought he was safe. Also, he didn't react until I jabbed him with the chopstick. But then he moved very quickly.

newreefguy

I waited until lights out, when he came out I shined a flash light in the corner behind him and scooped him up in the net.. Be sure not to shine the light on him. They'll hide before you can touch em.

Xenomorph25

Nicely done 'newreefguy'!

Less than 24 hours for you to identify and capture the killer crab!!

^ Whoops, got so excited I forgot who started the thread! HAHA!

Good luck catching him FrostGiant!

Last edited:

FrostGiant

Almost got em last night. He was kind of out in the open but not where I could net em. I did grab a claw with my needle nose pliers. The claw ripped off. So he's still in there. This guy doesn't really move too fast. I should be able to get em if I can get him to get out of the rock crevices.

sambrinar

put some food in a glass bottle or cup and prop the bottle or cup so he can get in.. and won't be able to get out.. Kinda like a crab motel.. he he

DLR74

I got mine after all the tricks failed with a shish kaboob skewer didnt want to kill him but had to he was eating all my snails and hermits.

FrostGiant

The problem with the food bait trap deal is that my shrimp will eat anything before he gets in there. I may try the fork. I found where he hides out and I think I may be able to stab him.

newreefguy

These guys are evil little jokers.... the glass trick didn't work for me... I tried it for over a week (while trying other methods)

fivel

Not sure if he is still in your tank, but on the upside... now that you ripped off one of his claws - he'll only be eating half as many of your hermits and snails *grin*

FrostGiant

Never did get em out but I got em dead. I think ripping off one of his claws may have given him an infection or something and he died. Not the way I would have liked it to happen but at least he's gone.