anyone seen these things?

erawling

I first noticed these things on the glass,then all over the bottom.
I thought they might be some kind of algae but then i noted that they move!
unknown2.jpg

They are the little brown things,I think they may have come in on some macro algae I put in my sump a few weeks ago.
unknown1.jpg

Last edited:

mantid

Those are flatworms known as planaria. They were a huge problem in my tank years ago. They are not too big of a deal while they are alive untill they start covering your corals and blocking out light. But their lifespan is very short being the reason they reproduce so fast. When they die it becomes a problem becuase they can really mess up your water quality as they are now dead matter in your tank plus I have heard that they release toxins when they die.

Get a six line wrasse! It ate every single one in my tank and I have not seen any to this day. I had the problem so bad that my rocks and some of my corals looked like they were actually orange/brown untill I would swish my hand in the water by the rocks and the rocks would be exposed of its real colors.

Check out this site, it gives a little info on them.
Pests Invading the Reef Aquarium Hobby: Part 2 - Flatworms, Snails & Limpets

seafansar

Those are flatworms alright. If you don't want to add another fish, flatworm exit works well at killing them. You need to suck out as many as you can see first, and keep some extra saltwater and carbon on hand when you treat. When the flatworms die they release toxins into the water.