anyone seen a saltwater all planted tank?

Luukosian

mantid

I think a lot of people do planted SW tanks, they just call them refugiums and I have seen some really cool display fuges.

joephys

Yes, I actually know of someone how has done one. He got rid of all his corals and got a bunch of different macro's and made it a planted sw tank. I would post a link, but unfortunately the forum that it was posted on is no longer online.

Actually, he may be on Aquatic Plant Central under the name reverix.

Luukosian

Well I know people put lots of macro in their fuge but its ussually just a chaeto ball or something, nothing thats really aquascaped except for like you said when its a display fuge...guess that would probably be a better idea since my fuge isn't under my tank anyways.

Lazyfish

Mine was until I got my shrooms I have 6 different species of algae right now they do a great job with the nitrates too

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I am at the start of a build of a "planted" tank. Will be a lagoon biotope, with seagrass and some macros, and eventually seahorses.

One of the reasons why you sea so few planted tanks are there are very no plants on a reef. Macros are not plants btw, they are algae. Most of the plants in the ocean are kelp, which is just too big for an aquarium, and seagrass.

What the FW hobby does very well is create biotopes, creating a habitat which replicates something you might find in nature. And in FW habitats that would include plants. The stars of SW tanks are corals, so a SW reef biotope would look very different, and would not contain any plants.

SeahorseBT

I don't have as many macros as I would like but it is a start. It houses
my 4 seahorses.
Tanks730.jpg

Tanks731.jpg

reefmasta

in some of my aquariums i use all types of caulerpa red and green,, with couple differnt varietys and just keep them all over the sand bed with still room for gobys and low light corals. and keep it off the rock work for corals and other inverts. i love it because i do no water changes nitrates are almost non existant. and things really tend to thrive very well with very minimal work at all.

DrHank

One of the simplest but most attractive marine planted tanks I've ever seen was 10 years ago at a souvenir shop in Panama City, Florida. It was a FOWLR and the rock was planted with a feather caulerpa. The primary fish were tangs and it looked great. I wish I had a picture to post.

Paul B

I sometimes collect this codium out on the east end of Long Island. It lives 6 or 8 months then it gets ratty and I remove it. I do like the way it looks though
Codium007.jpg

sneaks03

With these macro planted tanks, is there alot of upkeep in trimming the macro algae down? Also would putting a tang in one be bad since I know they eat algae?

johnmaloney

coral and macro live side by side, not sure if I have ever seen a natural reef without algae, tend to overlook it though for the large corals. there are some great planted SW tanks out there, not sure if they are on here though and I dont want to link around. If you find a guy named "elikewhoa" or pledosophy, ask for pics of their tanks. Awesome...I am pretty sure neither would mind me linking in pics, but I am only certain about one, here is eklikewhoa's tank:

start:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/eklikewhoa/NanoReef/Wave Tank/IMG_7400.jpg

2 months or so later:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/eklikewhoa/NanoReef/Wave Tank/IMG_7940.jpg

he also incorporated later on some non-reef safe fish that love it there. Really nice tank, that guy knows his stuff. A few others too that I know of, just feel bad linking around without asking...