Anyone here switch from USHIO 10k to XM10k??

SunnyX

I was wondering if anyone here swithed for USHIO 10k to XM 10k.

I am asking this because I currently have 250 watt XM 20k on my tank. I love them but I want something that will increase my growth. I tried to put my USHIO's back in today but it was too yellow and made everything look like crap.

If anyone has had these two bulbs please tell me if the XM 10k's look better or are less yellow. I love 20k but i wont switch to 400 watts until I move from my 120gl to a 180gl.

DaveK

"...but I want something that will increase my growth."

I'm going to stick my neck out here a bit. I don't think changinig to a different bulb is going to make too much of a differece in growth. You already have good light from the 20K bulbs, and you are using them on "only" a 120g tank.

Before I spent the money on different MH bulbs, I'd check into other factors that may be limiting growth. Obviously water quality is a key factor. Also consider water flow, feeding the coral, and possible other animals bothering it.

wooddood

the wood dude
sunny we've talked a little about lighting before and i run 2 250 watt 10k xm's and like mine personally, buy i have comented on your 20k's also and love the color of your tank and have told you so in the past. although i'm running 4 03 actinic pc's and your running vho's as supplemental lighting, so i guess my question is why. your tank looks awesome. please add some more info if you would . thanks sunny.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Sunny, any lower k bulb will probably look really yellow to you since you have so much blue now. I think your tank looks very pretty and the coral floresce wonderfully! Isn't there a link that compares the different MH bulbs using pictures? I'll try to find it....

I currently have 2 x 250 watt 10 k and 2x 96 actinic pc, but I think I will be purchasing the 6500k iwaskis next time for better growth.

dgasmd

I have seen the 10K XM and compared to the Ushio 10K, which I run now, it is much more white and less yellow. I liked it and I am going to switch to them when the time comes.

If it is plain growth you want, intensity will help. However, other things should be addressed as well like water flow, good skimming, phosphate removing media, etc. Optimize everything else first because the lighting alone will make a difference, but the others will as well maybe just as much if not more.

Something to consider in your 120g tank, is to just add two 10K XM bulbs right next to your 20K and have them come on for 4-6 hours only in the middle of your photoperiod. That will nearly triple your intensity. Of course, you want to slowly add this and not all of the sudden over night.

I'd also make sure you have a good reflector ... harnessing that light to good use.

I'm actually running both a 10k xm and 10k hamilton [ushio?] 175w. Like the xm, but to be honest I think the mix is best as I figure I have more different peaks this way instead of 2 times the same light.

But the XM is less yellow overall, a little whiter - but kind of a weird white IMO.

SunnyX

Thanks for the info guys.

I added some Phosban today and my Geo Calcium reactor just came in so I should see some improvements. I really dont think I have much phosphate because I have little algae. The reactor should kick start things. As for water flow, I have

4 x Aquaclear 402- 270 gal/hr each
1 x Aquaclear 802- 400 gal/hr
1 x Aquaclear 902- 900 gal/hr
1 x MAG 3 on skimmer- 350gal/hr

Also when I was testing my water i found out the both my ALK and CA very very high.
CA was 580
ALK was 4.80

I have stopped driping kalk for about 4 days now and my reactor should be up on monday.