Anyone have a slick way to do water changes.?

SecretAgent

lol, I guess that would conjure a funny mental picture if one were to think male body builder curling an empty 2g bucket....ha!....

I re-read that and had to laugh myself.

dragon

Back to the original question...a slick way to do water changes. Thanks for the ideas of pumping via tubing.

I just set it up to siphon out the living room window. I just put a garden hose in tank, close lid at depth I want it at, and siphoned off 35 gallons in 10 minutes.

Still working on getting a better systme to put water in that works at my house. Unfortuneatly rodi tank is far away from tank due to existing plumbing. I will probably just get a long lenght of tubing and a heavy duty pump.

Thanks for replies.

TonyV

May not be slick but easy for me.

Home Depot bucket filled with RO/DI water to the first rib on the out side from the bottom up is 4 gallons. Add 2 cups of Seachem Reef salt and let it mix for a few days with my original skimmer pump.

Use a second HD bucket, siphon out water to that first rib, then dump in the newly mixed water, clean any drips on the glass, and call it done.

cindyp

I fill one of my 55 gallon cans with rodi mix in the salt with a powerhead overnight then pump the old tank water into my other 55 gallon can and pump the new water in then I use the pump to empty the dirty water out the window into a ditch by my driveway to keep weeds from growing. last winter this worked well to de ice the driveway so all in all it takes me 20mins to get the new water mixing then about 20 min to pump old out and pump new in and another 20 to clean the glass and filters sponges on the pumps oh and when I'm pumping out the old water I vacuum out the returns and sump with the pump.
so it takes about an hour to do a 50 gallon water change on a 180 and I have a sparling tank:) I used to do the bucket and siphon hose method on my 55 and man that was alot of work it was more work keeping them up then it is the 180
the pump is what makes it easy.