anyone have a sand dollar?

SJS

Sand dollars? I have never heard of such thing, they look pretty cool

Hey Mario - check out Laguna beaches, we have lots of them around here. They are flat and round about 2 1/2 inches - when they are dead they are white with star in the middle. When alive they are purplish. West coast types probably need colder water. I have seen then while scuba diving, and our water is mid 60's.

Frankie

RS STAFF
growing up i was always messing with the sea life. we would collect sand dollars all the time. i remeber my aunt telling me about the doves and angels inside them. she told me, if you get one and break it open and find 5 little white birds that are unbroken inside, its said there are angles looking out for you:craig: FYI most have 3 or 4 birds, the ones i got to anyway, many many, we spend many summer days hunting for them.
the little white birds are called Doves of Peace and look like this;
doves.jpg

here is the legend as it goes....
Very cool Prow! I love that story~

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
that second pic was better, you have a sea biscuit....sand dollars are flat:
very very similar, just size, I also have heard them call the biscuits dollars:
Biscuit:
C7.jpg

Dollar:
698px-Keyhole_sand_dollar_01.jpg

just keep an eye on it...make sure if it starts looking really really pale, might want to take action before something bad happens

prow

Very cool Prow! I love that story~
thanks, you know what? i never even knew there was a actual legend. just did a quick search to get the real name of those birds and found the legend. it feels like i am reliving those days running around on the beach digging up sand crabs hunting down those elusive sand dollars and terrorizing sand sharks. anything in the sand was fair game at 8 or 9 years old. now i have moved on and everything in the water is fair game:D i have to ask my aunt if she knew about the legend back then.