Anyone been to Fiji?

Tom Vick

I took my girlfriend surfing in Fiji this past winter and I it was unbelievable. The colors going under my surfboard (one surfs over shallow reefs there) were amazing. I do not scuba but we did snorkel and WOW. The pics in the magazines do not do it justice! I was swimming around going "I want one of those, I want one of those, and one of those....."

mps9506

Tom Vick said:
I took my girlfriend surfing in Fiji this past winter and I it was unbelievable. The colors going under my surfboard (one surfs over shallow reefs there) were amazing. I do not scuba but we did snorkel and WOW. The pics in the magazines do not do it justice! I was swimming around going "I want one of those, I want one of those, and one of those....."

I'm jealous! :)
I hope within the next few years I can scrounge togther the money and time for a trip to Fiji or Bali to surf and to some snorkeling.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I had a really nice dream once... it was sorta like fiji... :rolleyes:

That sounds awesome! I would have snorkled sun up to sun down.... Did you get any pics?

Tom Vick

I took some pics with one of those waterproof disposable jobs...only 24 shots...not like a digital when you can shoot hundreds.

We were swimming/snorkling off the beach for the first time and I kept seeing cool stuff ,giant blue starfish, a coral here and there, so I kept taking pictures. We finally got out a ways and WOW...huge beautiful coral head packed with SPS. I went to take a pic and nothing happened! I used all the film on the small stuff!!!

Lucky for us we had more days and more cameras!! I will post some pics in my gallery.

And yes Guam counts...there were some divers where we were staying and the raved about Guam. Enjoy!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
:drool:

0663350-R1-020-8A.jpg

Jendub

This is the thread I have been waiting for.:bigbounce

I am going in January and will be there for 2 weeks. It is amazing that the pic was from a throw away camera. I am planning on bringing my camera with many memory cards and batteries.

I need to know the details-
Where did you stay? What time of the year? How was the weather? Is there something you wish you packed but didn't? What else did you see?

Tom Vick

We went in Feb...the rainy season...I went to surf so a little weather stirs things up the waves. I'm not sure I could take it full sunny and hot. When the sun was out...oh my god was it hot. We stayed at a place called Beqa Lagoon Resort. It was OK...some construction with the new pool being built. If that is finished then it is a nice place...GREAT food, AC in the rooms. Bugs are always a problem...most resorts have bug spray but a "Bite Stick" after bite treatment is handy. Bring your patience, it's a long way from Kanasas Toto.

WaiWiliki

That is a trip my surf buddies and I have been trying to line up for years now. We were thinking about cartering a boat to get to the differnt breaks. But as it goes, schedules and the money factor are always in the way..... :(

rossco

Hi ya all from the antipodes (NZ)
As 'Kiwis' the first island to the left is Australia and the first island above us is Fiji so when we go for an overseas holiday its usually either Aussie or Fiji!
We have been to Fiji twice in the last few years - probably where I got the SW fish bug from! Wadda ya want to know? People friendly - temperature fairly steady around 26 - 27 C (just like our fishtanks) its rainy in 'summer' and showers in 'winter' but anybody outside of Fiji wouldn't know the difference!
Our kids say you haven't been to Fiji unless you have stayed at an island resort. eg Plantation Island aimed for younger families, Malolo island for older.
Essentials - shorts - shorts - t shirt to wear when in villages - shorts - bug repellant for nighttime (can't be worse than parts of the states surely!) - running shoes to get away from shop keepers in the main towns (nadi, Suva) - shorts -

Craig Manoukian

Haven't been to Fiji, but your custom reef in your beautiful new house is the absolute bomb Tom Vick! Check out the pics in the phoyo gallery in Equipment and Setup!