Any news on the LED versions of the S-series

Frankb1

Is there any news on when the LED S-series will be released? I'm anxious to see them and any other updates.

reefer gladness

Just a suggestion, consider the Red Sea Reefer series www.redseafish.com/aquarium-systems/reefer/ for that all-in-one system goodness and go with one of the major LED manufacturers. Ecotech Radions, GHL Mitras, etc.

This article compares the Mitras, Radions and AI Hydra and the author notes something I couldn't agree with more when it comes to LED's, "Since all of them tend to use the same manufacturer of LEDs, the only major differences are from the composition of the LEDs used." www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/8/review

My personal choice would probably be the Giesemann T5/LED hybrid reefbuilders.com/2014/11/05/giesemanns-ledt5-hybrid-light-sign/

Frankb1

Just a suggestion, consider the Red Sea Reefer series www.redseafish.com/aquarium-systems/reefer/ for that all-in-one system goodness and go with one of the major LED manufacturers. Ecotech Radions, GHL Mitras, etc.

This article compares the Mitras, Radions and AI Hydra and the author notes something I couldn't agree with more when it comes to LED's, "Since all of them tend to use the same manufacturer of LEDs, the only major differences are from the composition of the LEDs used." www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/8/review

My personal choice would probably be the Giesemann T5/LED hybrid reefbuilders.com/2014/11/05/giesemanns-ledt5-hybrid-light-sign/

Yeah I looked at Reefer 350 and the 450 and they look nice but I want something larger . The Giesemann light looks great and will definitely be one to consider if I go custom versus the 650 s-series which I'm still on the fence about depending on the new version release.

DaveK

I would agree with most of your points. However I just can't see a serious reason for a product such as the Giesemann T5/LED hybrid. In my opinion using T5s with LEDs kind of defeats the all the reasons for going with LEDs. If your going to do that, you might as well go all T5 and save your self some money.

When you go with LEDs your gaining full control over the lighting in regards to the spectrum and how much light you are using and can cycle this during the day. You also get away from the annual bulb replacement. The other big advantage of LEDs is they consume less power and put out less heat. Once you add the T5s back, by going with a hybrid fixture, you loose most of these advantages.

I will come down on the LED manufactures in one area. LEDs tend to direct their light more or less straight down, as you can see in the Advanced Aquarist article you mention. Because of this many tanks using LEDs tend to look spotty or have dim corners or other areas. You really need a lot more fixtures than what manufacturers generally recommend. Obviously this means more money and good LED lighting is still expensive.

I recommend that people either go all LED or go all T5.

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Ok Folks, the only news is there is no news yet sorry, as soon as we know you guys will know because I'll be straight on this great forum to let you all know.

Thanks for the continued support, and I guess that's me back from vacation.