any ideas

hi my tank is drilled on the back pian of glass water gose it to the sump and returns via 6000ltr pump but the troble is that i cant gage the water returning to the tank from the sump it either overfills the tank and leaves the sump dry or over fills the sump making the tank make sucking noises i have a ball valve fitted to the return to try and regulate the flow but its driving me mad dose anybody have any suggestions

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
The drainage can not accomodate the return. I agree, it sounds like the pump is too big or the plumbing pipes are too small. The ball valve should help with this. :dunno:

tbittner

A ball valve will work. Just close it or open it the tiniest little bit at a time. I actually use a hammer to gentle tap the handle to get it to move a hairs worth. You will be able to fine tune it so everything works, but be patient with it, and only tap it open or close a tiny little bit at a time.

Octoman

Does the tank have an overflow of some sort or just a hole for the drain? It sounds to me like you are saying that you are trying to regulate the level of water in the Display Tank with the pump flow. The water in the DT should be regulated by the height of the overflow skimmer or drain pipe. The only place you should see the water level changing is in the sump. Can you post pictures?

It sounds like you might be trying to keep the water level above the drain in the display tank to avoid the sucking noise. The drain in the display tank should not be completely submerged, there are other things you can do about the sucking noise - do a search for "Durso Standpipes"

A 1 inch drain will carry away 600 gph.You should get a pump that closely match's that.There are a few kinds of pumps out there that can be damaged when there flow is impeded by valves.The use of a head pressure calculator will help determine the correct pump.

hi yes im trying to regulate the main tank flow with the pump so i have to top up the main tank and the sump stays the same ive looked at durso stand pipes but are the for bottom drains

Attachments

• mini-1[2].JPG
    mini-1[2].JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 30
  • mini-2[2].JPG
    mini-2[2].JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 30
  • mini-DSC00348.JPG
    mini-DSC00348.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 30
  • mini-DSC00351.JPG
    mini-DSC00351.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 30

Octoman

You want the water level to stay the same in the tank and top off in the sump instead. Otherwise, the tank will always wind up overflowing because you are putting more flow in than the drain can handle. If the water level is going above the drain in the DT, you are putting too much flow in. It will have to suck air, everybody's drains do.

But there are ways to make it more quiet, you could try a modified durso that has the 90 in the tank and the rest on the outside of the tank. You adjust the size of the hole in the cap to regulate the airflow so it doesn't "gurgle".

Attachments

• durso.JPG
    durso.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 28
is there anyway i can do it back to front ie put the t piese in the inside of the main tank because the elbow is solvent welded to the bulk head and so is the outside pipe work

Octoman

You could try something like this...

I have no idea if it would work, but the principle of the Durso is to submerge the intake below the water level with an elbow (and some kind of screen over the intake so you dont suck up fish/snails), and then control the amount of air that is sucked down with the hole in the cap. So it may work like this, although someone else probably has a much more simple idea...

You could use a "street L" to cut down on space, it fits directly into the tee instead of having to use a piece of pipe.

Attachments

• mod2.JPG
    mod2.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 15
well thenks for the help but it did not work ive got the folw in the sump level though so i will just put an auto top up in the sump to keep the tank water level