Any ideas on an RO/DI issue?

knapp870

So, I have a 50 GPD RO/DI unit that is just the inline type, not canister (uses refrigerator type inline cartridges). I ordered a new sediment, carbon and RO filter off of ebay the other day (separately) and installed. However, my flow into my RO/DI storage container was then very slow and the TDS coming out of the RO into the DI resin is ~36ppm, which seems very high as it has been 9 ppm in the past. Now, last night after taking things apart and re-fitting everything I am getting almost 0 flow. Any ideas or suggestions? I'm about to just junk the cheap thing and go with a 75 gpd canister system if I can't get this figured out. Thanks in advance!!

BLADEYAMAHA

I'm not sure, can you post pics, are you putting it together correctly? Not trying to piss you off, just trying to hit the basics. Uh, are the cartridges in correctly? Reversed? In order? Maybe get a Canister style one if you don't get it going. Not sure without being, don't know what else to say. What brand is it? Model?

knapp870

No brand or model. Bought it second hand last year. Should be together correctly, sediment, then carbon then RO then DI resin chamber with flow arrows in correct direction. I can take pics tonight if that helps.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Having pure water is paramount to running a good system and is a staple when trouble shooting problems. I would look for a unit and be done with it. BRS has some good ones but at the end of the day most units are good and it all depends on what you put in them so if you find a used one cheap, buy it and replace all the filters.

I have the BRS 5 stage RO/DI plus and I am very happy with it.

BLADEYAMAHA

Well one thing is the RO filter does not start filtering low ppm right off the bat, it takes about 5 or 10 gallons to run through it before it starts getting the low ppm numbers.

knapp870

Ya I flushed it for about 45 minutes, then I have ran about 30 gallons of good out and it still has not improved. :(

BLADEYAMAHA

Oh the style would be fine, yeah, you can get another one like it, just not the standard though, replacement filters for the 10 inch canisters are more common and more readily available.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
sounds like one of your filters is jammed ans not rowking properly. try removing one at a time and see how it works......hopefully you can identify the problem that way

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Can u run it without the filters n see the water movement to narrow down where the issue lies?

..........the mayor has spoken

knapp870

good idea. Im almost thinking the RO membrane because everything flushes correctly and tons of waste water comes out the waste, just little to nothing out the "good" side

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
The membrane should be second to last.....DI last. Trouble shooting should help us solve this.

knapp870

Well I troubleshot this issue for awhile last night and finally found that the stoppage was in the last fitting coming out of the DI resin. A little twist and it began to flow correctly. However, I am still getting like 19-22 ppm out of the RO membrane :( I feel like this will cause me to run through DI resin pretty quickly.

Willie McDaries

Well I troubleshot this issue for awhile last night and finally found that the stoppage was in the last fitting coming out of the DI resin. A little twist and it began to flow correctly. However, I am still getting like 19-22 ppm out of the RO membrane :( I feel like this will cause me to run through DI resin pretty quickly.

the sediment and carbon filters are there to remove sediment and chlorine,which will destroy the RO membrane,most Ro membranes remove about 90%..for instance,if you have 200TDS coming in,the RO will have very nearly 20TDS coming out of it...my TDS coming into my house are around 160TDS,my RO output measures about 16 TDS....test the water coming in to the sediment filter,if it is around 190 to 200TDS,it is working as it should and you are fine,the DI will remove the rest :)