Any idea what this is

Marty.h

Spotted it growing on part of one my Forest Fires so better to be safe then sorry I broke it off and binned it but would really like to know what it is the things growing out and the red blotches.

Ignore the green algae that's cheato from where I filled bowl up from sump

Any ideas

20150914_210406-1_zpssvr19njd.jpg

silver97

I have those on some of my rocks too. They came with a zoa frag I got but have mostly stayed on the frag. If you get a really up close look they almost look like they have xenia polyps on the end. I dont think it's coral, but might just be some algae or other plant.
Heres a pic of mineIMG_0258.JPGThey dont seem to be doing anything bad to my zoas, and they've been growing that close to them for close to 3 months now.
So really what I'm saying is I'd like to know what they are also, but they dont seem harmful

Oxylebius

The red might be either algae starting to grow or Foraminiferans.

The little white things kinda look like Caprellids (do they move?), or possibly Bryozoans but most likely Hydroids.

Oxylebius

Silver97, those look like hydroids. Those are common in new tanks or on new rocks. With good water quality they go away on their own. Some sting really badly, so don't touch them with bare fingers, wear gloves.

Oxylebius

There are many different types of hydroids. Some go away during the tanks cycle, others can cause issues. If you are going to get rid of them, use gloves, they can sting.