Any help

hub81

Ok I have purchased a 6 stage RODI filter for my water changes and evap replacement is that good for fish and coral?
Also I purchased a new lighting system I could not pass up the deal. I have 2 x250 watt metal halide 4 blue atinic 54 watt 15000K and 6 bluemoon. What kind of corals can I keep?
I have a 75 gal with 120lbs live rock 80lbs live sand and a 29 gal sump with a octo 150 skimmer.
I have had this tank set up for 5 years and I have kept mostly fish, I am down to just a sea creature and hermit crabs and several snails now and I am thinking of starting a reef.
Thanks for all your help

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Ok I have purchased a 6 stage RODI filter for my water changes and evap replacement is that good for fish and coral?

Excellent! You're on the right track.

Also I purchased a new lighting system I could not pass up the deal. I have 2 x250 watt metal halide 4 blue atinic 54 watt 15000K and 6 bluemoon. What kind of corals can I keep?

Any of them!

I have a 75 gal with 120lbs live rock 80lbs live sand and a 29 gal sump with a octo 150 skimmer.

Sounds good.

I have had this tank set up for 5 years and I have kept mostly fish, I am down to just a sea creature and hermit crabs and several snails now and I am thinking of starting a reef.

Don't know what a "sea creature" is, but it sounds like you have a base reef without the corals. You should have little to no problems converting this tank to a reef. Now that you are getting into coral husbandry, you will have to change your thinking about what kinds of fish you can add.

Thanks for all your help

Any time!:D

Smiley1

yes....
pretty much any i would guess, but dont quote me...
sea creature? does it look like this?
strange%20a.jpg

hub81

Thanks. LOL sorry you know them as sea urch my LFS calls them sea creatures now she has me doing it.
It smells like chicken

hub81

I was thinking of doing a 50% water change then letting the tank set for about 2 or 3 weeks before adding any coral.
Do you think the water change would be a good idea? I have not done a water change in about 6 months.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Whoa! It's time to start testing the ionic balance of the water. From here on out you will have to accept another mind set other than a fish only tank, whereas chemistry becomes quite important for a reef tank. You will need to start testing for calcium (Ca), alkalinity (alk) magnesium (Mg), pH and phosphate (PO4) for starters. What is your nitrate level? For a reef tank it should be <10ppm. If your nitrates are high as a result of a fish only tank, you will need WCs to get them under control.

Also, water stability is crucial for a reef tank. Salinity, pH, temperature as well as chemistry must remain stable for best results.