any help would be nice?

DPdsny

does anyone have any pic or links on how to turn a skilter 250 in to a small refuge. just to help grow some pods and maybe some macro algae's. I have read where people have done it I just need info on making it.:clink:

ReefLady

Staff member
With a 75, you may be better off creating a "pod pile" in your tank. Just a pile of rubble stacked together so the predators can't get to the middle. With the size of a skilter, I can't see the benefits being worth the trouble. JMO.

Travis

DPdsny

Travis- I got pod piles in the tank, its just that I got the filter just sitting there I would like to put it to some type of use. I love to fiddle around with things like this, I could fill a room with things that I made or converted for my tank(some work some don't). it keeps me busy. plus my wife is trying to get me to paint the bedroom, so if I'm playing in the basement with the filter I can put off painting for a little bit..LOL

ReefLady

Staff member
OK well I'm not too familiar with skilters myself but the fiurst thing would be to slow down the water flow. One way to do this would be to buy an aquaclear foam block, cut a hole in it and slip it over the filter's intake. As it collects debris and stuff it will slow the flow down drastically. But you'll need to rinse it occasionally or the particles will rot in the water column, which could pose a nitrate issue.

DPdsny

I read how some guy ran some flex tubing from the output of the power head and made a little spray bar at the top. filled the filter chamber with 2 inch of sand and put some macro algae's some eggcrate and that was it. he did not have any pic of it so I was hoping some one here might know of a deferent way.