Any good recommendations

Going to my LFS on sun and they are known to have a great selection of fish and corals. I'm hoping to buy an anemone but want to no about them first! Any pic or suggestions?!

DaveK

My advice is to leave the anemones alone unless your tank meets all the following requirements...

In this case I'm assumeing we are talking about typical clown fish hosting anemones such as an LTA or BTA.

Make sure you have a large enough tank. These can get large. I'd recommend nothing much smaller than about 40 gal or so. Larger is better

Make sure you have a high amount of light. Usually this means MH, multiple T5 bulbs, or high end LEDs.

Make sure you have a well established tank. Usually this means 1 year with no major water issues.

Make sure you have top quality water. Usually means RO/DI water used to mix new SW, a top quality salt, and water parameters all with in normal ranges with low nitrates and phosphates.

Make sure there is no way for the anemone to get into your filter intakes, circulation pumps, overflows and other equipment in the tank. Anemones like to wonder around until they find a place they like.

While not a requirement for the anemone, it's a good idea not to have any fish that might perch on the anemone and get eaten. Your anemone will thank you, but you'll loose the fish.

The tank is about four years old live rock is good and sand is good water is perfect and I just put up LEDs a week ago!

As for the filtration I just have the in tank overflow...with the glass lid covering the tank do you think it could still get in the filtration?

DaveK

The tank is about four years old live rock is good and sand is good water is perfect and I just put up LEDs a week ago!

As for the filtration I just have the in tank overflow...with the glass lid covering the tank do you think it could still get in the filtration?

In that case I don't see any issues. Yes, they can get into an overflow. As suggested a sponge or other material over it will help. One more thing to clean though.

Since it's a first anemone go for a LTA or BTA as they are much easier to keep compared to a Ritteri.

As I have been looking into it I think I might go with a BTA just to get the fins wet! I'm buying live stock on sun ill keep you guys updated with the purchases as well with pics

So I ended up going with a BTA...and I must say it had not let me down..I guess my water is doing good things as I woke up at 3am to make sure he was not stinging any corals and he has started to split...pictures as soon as the lights come on!

EricTheRed

So I ended up going with a BTA...and I must say it had not let me down..I guess my water is doing good things as I woke up at 3am to make sure he was not stinging any corals and he has started to split...pictures as soon as the lights come on!

I wouldn't get overly excited. Nems can split from stress so it's not always a good sign...