Any 250 owners use Carbon/Phosphate reactors?

Tim Duncan

Just wanted to see if any of the RSM250 owners are using carbon or GFO reactors instead of media in the media chamber. I was thinking about getting a dual reactor since they are way more efficient at removing unwanted material than the media bags. My only issue is placement for the pump in the rear of the tank. I would want to put it in the media chamber, but there isn't a place for me the run the tubing out to the reactor that would be below the tank. Does anyone have any ideas on the subject? Please help if u can, thanks

RSM250PEARL

Hi Tim, not sure if you would be comfortable drilling the plastic rim at the back just above the media chamber for the tubing or not but dont rule it out as I've done it for my dosing and ato lines and its no biggie. Thats one option if you definately wanna go external reactor, on the other hand if you want a reactor in the rear chambers check out my thread on the link below. I changed from purigen to seagel in the reactor after a while so have a browse till you get there :) this little reactor has worked wonders for me, hope that helps.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/63983-kays-rsm-250-white-pearl-19.html

starts at page 19 post 272 upto page 21 post 307

tank rim drilled - page 14 post 207

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/63983-kays-rsm-250-white-pearl-14.html

GregT

Hi Tim,

I just picked up today a Canister filter I've going to run my carbon and ZEOvit rock and ZEObac in.
Everything I've read is only good about phoshate reactors.
You could DIY something like the RSM130's use in the 'cahmber of death' with a small pump on the bottom? Someone has done in in a 250.
cheers

Bathtub

I had great success with the deltec fr509 fluidized bed with an eheim as an external. Initially I ran purigel in it (perfect!) now I run biopearls with the purigel in an intank media chamber.
I have zero nitrates, phosphates (nitrites, ammonia etc)- but a busy skimmer.
Also dozing ozone to the skimmer I found the biopearls got a turbo boost as the bio availability of docs were increased- using a Phillips system the levels of ozone were so low was not a worry (introduced in my tunze 9002)..
Not sure this helps- but good luck!

pocketreef

I'm running a small Cleartides reactor with biopellets. Highly recommended.
Another colleague has biopellets on a 300 ml PET bottle with a pump.

RSM250PEARL

Dorgs2 said:
Kay,

Are you running cpe as well? If so, where is it located?

Thanks,

Todd

Hi Todd, I run SeaGel in the reactor and Purigen in the media chamber. Haven't tried out CPE yet but I plan to in the future. Hth.