Anthias - Need Advice to Make Selection!

ivyvine1

Hi -
I am looking to add a couple smallish Anthias to a 90gal tank. I currently have one smallish Sunburst Anthias. I am thinking about a couple Threadfin or Bartlett's and would like to hear any positive or negative comments on these or any other small ones. (Not interested in Lyretail.)
Feedback is appreciated.
Thank you!!

Witfull

both are beautiful fish, either would make a nice addition. they need several feedings a day of mysis and such and can be jumpers.

Melody

Bartletts are incredible! I have mine for a year under 250 w DE halides and vho super uri actinics and their colors are eye popping no fading what so ever. They eat everything I put in the tank. and I don't feed massive amounts of food. Once a day and they are quite healthy.

RANDY

They Can Be Tough To Keep! Sounds Like You're Doing Everything Right. Good Luck With Your Additions. Please Keep Us Posted.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Beautiful fish but there's the potential for some problems. Keeping multiple Anthias in smaller tanks can lead to constant bickering and aggression and it can be worst if you keep different species. Not saying it's impossible Irene, I'm sure you've done the research but I'll just throw it out there :)

The various Anthiines live in large aggregations with a definite pecking order that is not replicable or desirable in captive care. If you want to buy a colorful male, only buy one. Similarly, unless you have a very large tank, more than one (or two) females is unnecessary and may well lead to endless fighting and loss. If you lose your only or alpha (dominant) male, the next most dominant specimen will in time change sex to take it's place.

House only one species to a system. If at all possible, acquire all individuals at the same time from the same batch. I have seen all species offered in the trade maintained solitarily for extended periods of time. Solitude is not deadly to them.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/anthiines_ii.htm

In hobby literature, the long-touted lore of Anthias needing to be kept in groups is a bit in error. It's true that many live in very large shoals or schools in the wild, sometimes numbering in the thousands. But in specific groups and harems, there is a decided pecking order and often considerable intraspecific aggression. With their natural territories consisting of many square meters in the wild, the compression of a harem into a home aquarium results in quite an abnormal situation, regardless of the size of the display (short of public-aquarium sized displays). Weaker or more passive individuals get singled out and harassed quickly, but they cannot escape far enough away to quell the aggressor, as they can in the wild. Thus, such practical realities make us reconsider what it will take to keep (or not keep) Anthiines captively......Give Anthias very large aquariums (at least a couple hundred gallons) to allow them a better chance of surviving a full lifespan. It is difficult to give a rule of thumb on stocking densities for the dozens of species encountered in the aquarium trade, but I'll suggest a rough guideline of one "Anthias" per 75 gallons (285 liters) of water. I strongly encourage aquarists unable or unwilling to dedicate such space to consider keeping a single specimen of one of the hardier varieties. The Sunburst Anthias, Serranocirrhitus latus, are among the smallest, best and hardiest Anthiinae for aquarium use - provided they are given cover for protection from aggressive tankmates or excessive light.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-04/ac/index.php

ivyvine1

Thanks Robert - that was enough to discourage me from keeping two different kinds of Anthias. One article said it was okay, but yours is more convincing that it's not. It's just so hard to come up with fish to add sometimes because of one reason or another, although this is why I like to post and do my homework first.
Thanks again!!
Irene

Melody

Oh gosh, I should read post closer in the wee hrs of the morning....:smck: didn't realize you wanted to mix species. Cheeks69 advice is dead on!

Bartletts are the only anthias I have personal experience with. But, I've read/heard from other folks that they are more hardy than other anthias they have tried to keep.