Anthias help

Shan

I purchased a bartletts anthias 2 weeks ago, and it has layed on the bottom the entire time. I purchased two others at the same time and they act normal and swim normal. This fish looks completely healthy, good color. I called Live aquaria and asked them, and they said to fee it a green pea for swim bladder problem, which I did last week, but the fish hasnt changed behavior. they recommended I post here to see if anyone has any experience with an anthias acting like this? When I feed the tank it will swim up into the column, and then goes right back down and rests on the bottom. HELP

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
can you post some pics and tell us a little about the tank, fish mates and anything else you find pertinent?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Hopefully Lee would be through but if it is swim bladder issues, google says this (which you seem to be on the track already)
Treatment:
Do not feed for 3 days, then feed skinned peas

Increase water temp to 80

Lower the water level to make it easier to reach the surface

Hand feed during treatment, if needed

Use broad spectrum antibiotic if indicated

Shan

my tank is a redsea 500s, 135g
upgrade from previous solana, tank is 3months old, SPS dominated,
temp 79.5, alk 7, ca 480, nitrates .2, phos .03, salinity 1.025

tank mates
2 bartletts anthias
3 lyretail anthias
4 wrasse
1 firefish
1 yellow tang
2 clowns
1 copper butterfly

anthias_zpsf023dc59.jpg

Shan

I have done the pea treatment last week. Tank temp runs 79.5-80, he swims fine, will swim up into water column when I feed others, and then go right back to the bottom and sit upright, no lying sideways or weird.
acts and looks normal, just that he sits on the bottom

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Yes he does look healthy otherwise doesn't he. Lee is really good at treatments so hopefully he can prescribe some "medicine"....seems like keeping him healthy and not picked on in the mean time is the way to go.

BTW...looks like a sweet tank.....start a tank thread!

leebca

I don't know what the pea treatment is, however sounds like that might be the problem. I think the fish will come around providing there isn't any problem with water quality. Was this fish quarantined? It is always best to quarantine the new acquisition so that you can train it to eat prepared food.

Shan

Live aquaria told me to try the pea treatment for swim bladder. Apparently they use it. It hasn't worked. Water quality in my sps tank is perfect. The fish swims up into the column and eats wait the others but spends the day on the sand.

leebca

What was wrong with the fish's swim bladder?

Not in favor of treating fishes for something that isn't wrong. A fish with a bad bladder would not swim to the top and return to the bottom. The fish would not be able to control its swimming at all.

Also, not in favor of giving fish land products. I think the pea treatment concept is seriously in error. No licensed vet I know has ever heard of it, for marine fishes. I think there would have been some kind of scientific report or paper on such a treatment if it was found useful. Maybe at some time you might ask live aq where they were advised of this treatment.

So, the fish did eat originally? Then stop?

For now I would just watch and see if the fish adjusts to captivity.

Shan

What was wrong with the fish's swim bladder?

Not in favor of treating fishes for something that isn't wrong. A fish with a bad bladder would not swim to the top and return to the bottom. The fish would not be able to control its swimming at all.

Also, not in favor of giving fish land products. I think the pea treatment concept is seriously in error. No licensed vet I know has ever heard of it, for marine fishes. I think there would have been some kind of scientific report or paper on such a treatment if it was found useful. Maybe at some time you might ask live aq where they were advised of this treatment.

So, the fish did eat originally? Then stop?

For now I would just watch and see if the fish adjusts to captivity.

I dont think there is anything wrong with the swim bladder. feeding the pea was something they recommended and since they warranty the fish, i just followed their advice. The fish can control his swimming fine, he just doesnt swim very often. LA told me they have used the pea treatment on other fished that have shown swim bladder probs and it works to correct the problem.

The fish eats now, when I feed the tank he swims up into the column and grabs food and then settles right back to the bottom and stays there all day.

Choff

Sounds like it needs a fish anti-depressant. Sorry for the trouble, I love Bartletts. :(

Sent using Tapatalk 2