Anselth's 70 Gallon Tech Tank upgrade

shale

Well, status update on the tank. The firefish didn’t survive. Poor little guy. He was doing really well for a couple of weeks there. But then it seemed like all of a sudden I noticed that he had some damage to one of his fins, like someone had taken a bite out of him. I noticed that Thursday night, Friday morning he looked even worse, and he was gone by the time I got home from work Friday night. Poor Thor. The other fish are looking fat and happy and were really active all day yesterday.

All the new corals are doing well, at least. The frogspawn is giant and the Nepthea frag is looking fantastic. I think it’s starting to attach to the rock it was tied to. I had to move the monti cap closer to the light; one edge was shaded by a ledge of rock and was starting to look a little strange. It seems to be recovering now that it’s fully out in the open.
The feather duster worm is still attached to the sea urchin’s head, but I’m no longer sure it’s alive. I haven’t seen it extend his crown since Friday.

Scheduled to do a water change for this evening and I’m setting up a new (larger) reservoir for the auto top-off. Business as usual in Tankland!

althea2you

Well, status update on the tank. The firefish didn’t survive. Poor little guy. He was doing really well for a couple of weeks there. But then it seemed like all of a sudden I noticed that he had some damage to one of his fins, like someone had taken a bite out of him. I noticed that Thursday night, Friday morning he looked even worse, and he was gone by the time I got home from work Friday night. Poor Thor. The other fish are looking fat and happy and were really active all day yesterday.

All the new corals are doing well, at least. The frogspawn is giant and the Nepthea frag is looking fantastic. I think it’s starting to attach to the rock it was tied to. I had to move the monti cap closer to the light; one edge was shaded by a ledge of rock and was starting to look a little strange. It seems to be recovering now that it’s fully out in the open.
The feather duster worm is still attached to the sea urchin’s head, but I’m no longer sure it’s alive. I haven’t seen it extend his crown since Friday.

Scheduled to do a water change for this evening and I’m setting up a new (larger) reservoir for the auto top-off. Business as usual in Tankland!

aww! poor thor! sorry for your fishy loss!

wait a min... who wrote this? is this Anselth under a diff name? hmmm.. had me scrathching my head! :p

BarbMazz

Sorry for your loss... poor Thor!

Your tank is looking very, very nice! How deep is your sand bed? I really like that monti cap!

DeepFreeze

Congrats on your upgrade. I am buying the same tank from a local guy who is upgrading and I have a couple of questions for you. What pump are you using for your return, and do you have any other flow? The setup I am getting comes with a megaflow model 2 sump, 175w MH retro kit installed in custom canopy. The return pump is a Little Giant 5MDSC which is rated at 1050gph for zero head and 900gph for 6' of head. I am planning to install a valve to reduce the flow so I don't outrun the returns and flood the tank.

Anselth

It was definitely weird, I think we have a hitchhiker we didn't identify before.

Althea, Shale's my friend Sarah, who's taking care of the tanks while I'm deployed.

I'm currently using a mag7 for the return. I'm thinking about switching it out for a mag 5 when I get home, see if that helps with my microbubble issue. I also have two Korallia 1s to add flow in the tank, on wavetimer from the Aquacontroller.

althea2you

It was definitely weird, I think we have a hitchhiker we didn't identify before.

Althea, Shale's my friend Sarah, who's taking care of the tanks while I'm deployed.

I'm currently using a mag7 for the return. I'm thinking about switching it out for a mag 5 when I get home, see if that helps with my microbubble issue. I also have two Korallia 1s to add flow in the tank, on wavetimer from the Aquacontroller.

OH!!! i see!!! lol.. i was like.. wait.. what?!!! haha! so sorry about the firefish! poor guy! oh and GOOD name!!! thats my name too!

Anselth

Barb, sorry I missed your question! The sand is about 3" deep. It's deeper than what I had in the 50, and I like the change. Between the Sea Hare, Nassarius snails, and the Cucumber, I think it will be kept well stirred, although apparently we're getting a bloom of cyano along the sandbed. Shale said she's going to adjust the flow a bit more to the front to see if that helps.

Anselth

Another thing. I never noticed how much the black background makes things pop out at you until I changed tanks...The colors on my corals seem much more vibrant after the switch.

Anselth

Oh, Scott. I don't think it's a bad plumbing junction, although I intend to lower the return about an inch. All of the plumbing is flex hose, siliconed and clamped in place. I do have this weird thing where I get a burst of air bubbles from the return every once in a while, not sure what's causing that. I'm going to have a good hard look at the plumbing when I get back home to try and figure out what's going on there.

BarbMazz

Thanks for the sand bed info, Adam... no problem.. it's not like you're not busy or something! I like that look... I was going with 4" but that might be too much.. 3" may be the answer. I'm also going with a black background. I like that contrast, too!

Anselth

To be honest, the 3" sand bed was an accident. I bought a 40lb bag of aragonite and a 15 pound bag of sugar-sized and that's what came out...

shale

Critter update:
For the past couple of weeks we've been missing the sea cucumber. I looked everywhere in the tank and just couldn't spot him. Well, last night I finally looked up from sump to check out the bottom and there he was, sitting on the floor in the overflow.
With the new tank and setup, my little arms aren't long enough to reach all the way down to the bottom. Dentiod had some helpful advice (Thank you thank you!), part of which was just to pick it off the wall if I caught it climbing around.
The cuke (his name is Chaz, btw - Adam named that one) looked fine in the sump, so I decided to trust him not to end up in the sump overnight and I went to bed. This morning I got up and went to check the overflow, and he was high up on the wall, easily within reach! Helpful little guy. :D
So now Chaz has been retrieved and is back in the display. We’re going to make some changes to the setup a bit once Adam’s home so we can hopefully prevent that from happening again.

So here’s the tail end of him. As soon as Chaz was on the sand, he stretched out and took off. He made it from the front to around the back of the blasto in record time. Guess he’s in good shape. :yup:

Attachments

• IMG_6014.JPG1.JPG
    IMG_6014.JPG1.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 80