Annoying Algae Problem!

shy519

Hey everyone! :bouncer:

It's been a while since I've posted anything. :doh: I've had a really bad issue with green wispy algae that growers all over my tank except for the acrylic walls. My clean up crew includes one astrea turbo snail, five Margarita snails, about 3-5 nassarius snails, and one lettuce nudibranch. I did a three day blackout, but nothing happened to the algae at all. I'm beginning to think that my nitrite/nitrate levels are getting too high. Is there any way that I could lower these?

Thanks for your input :dryer:
Shy

DaveK

To answer your question, it would help to know the following information -

How big is the tank?
How long have you had it set up?
What are your exact parameter readings for nitrate and phosphate?
What fish do you have in the tank?
How often do you feed then?
What kind of filtration system do you have, including skimmer, refugium, and reactors?
What other methods do you use for circulation in the tank?
What kind and how much lighting is on the tank?
How long is the lighting on every day?
What is your water change schedule, how much and how often?

Thanks.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Water changes are needed to reduce nitrates.
All the info that DaveK asked is needed to really help you solve your algae troubles.
A picture would :help: help also because we don't know if you have hair algae or the more troublesome Bryopsis.
I hope we are able to help you....Algae troubles can be very frustrating :(

shy519

I'm sorry for the late reply, but I had, in fact, lost internet connection for quite a while. We took a trip to a reputable fish store. The owner told us to use a sugar treatment. It has worked and the algae is now under great control. One last question though, what is better, vinegar, sugar, or vodka treatments?

Snid

I'd be wary of answering that question not knowing the answers to the ones Dave asked. Mostly because I'm not in favor of dosing anything whenever possible, but also because what you think may have been a problem may have actually been what the tank simply needed to do in part of its early development. Also, treating a symptom doesn't always treat a problem. Dosing a tank to get rid of algae is like taking aspirin to get rid of a flu in many ways.

StirCrayzy

One way or another, I think you could easily double you cleanup crew right away.
If you're over 30 gallons I'd say quadruple what you have now.