Anisa's BioCube 29g Adventure

Uslanja

Oh, it is looking all so nice! The snails will do a great job and the crabs will just finish everything off to perfection! The crabs are our favorites! They just seem to work and work non stop and before you know it, everything is just so wonderful to look at! We sometimes feed our crabs a little dried seaweed for a change of diet!

Uslanja

Hey greneis7. Could you tell me what "Zoa" is? Feeding is always a thrill to watch! Always looking for tips to make things better.

greneis7

I spelled it wrong sorry. It's Zoe by Kent. It is a stinky mix of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. Since the seaweed is dried - this kinda puts some zing back into it. I soak mine in it for like 10 mins or so before I put the sw in the clip.

AnisaG

Well, it's been a week and 2 days since I added the CUC, and they all seemed to be doing really well.

My water hasn't changed in a few weeks:

pH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0-5
Salinity 1.026
Temperature fluctuates slightly between 26.5-27.5 but it's normally right around 27

So after doing another water change, yesterday, and doing all my tests again this morning I decided that I would take the plunge and pick up two tank raised clownfish!

AnisaG

Introducing Dean & Monroe
Monroe_Dean_001.jpg

Uslanja

Hi Anisa! Hope your vacation was a good one. Nice additions! Monitor your water parameters and watch for things to adjust too the additional bio load before adding more. Dean & Monroe; is there a story behind those names? Isn't it great getting to name our little critters?

Like the look of your rock scaping in the 2'nd photo! That is going to fill out real nice!

AnisaG

Thanks Guys!

Dean - as in James Dean
Monroe - as in Marilyn Monroe

So I saw a very small barely noticeable ammonia spike, did a water change and things have evened out.
But I have 2 very small red spots; one on the sand and one on a piece of live rock; which I am SURE are red cyano :cry1: Now I have read that it could be because there isn't alot of flow in that area, which in my tank would make sense... but I find when I have increase the flow in that area my sand bed moves around like crazy! Suggestions?

My diatom and hair algae are growing faster than my minimal CUC can keep up with, it's not out of control, but it's visible which is more out of control than I would like!!

I have been trying to track down a LFS that has Astrea snails in stock, but no luck so far. Apparently there is a shipment of saltwater stuff coming in on Friday, so I will call everyone again. I think if I add 5 more hermits and 5 astrea snails that will be helpful?

Ideas??

Current stock list:
4 hermits
5 nassarius snails
5 turbo snails (not very turbo)
2 Perc. Clowns

Additional info:
1 unit Chemi-Pure
BioCube Protien Skimmer
filter floss (changed everyday!) in front of both intakes
stock pump
and an Aqueon 500 Power head

Let me know if you have any suggestions!

AnisaG

So I had a bad LFS experience today, and thought I would share:

I really needed a few more snails, so drove the 1hr into the city to pick a few up. I asked the "fish guy" to pull out for me 5 turbo snails, and 2 cerith snails he had no idea what I was asking for and I had to point them out... clue #1. He then went on to say, well I don't know how much that will be, to which I replied that's fine, I will take them anyway. He scooped out the snails and placed them in a clump in the plastic bag, added water and handed the bag directly to a manager... not to me. Clue #2.
The manager looked in the bag and said, oh you must have a saltwater aquarium... did you see the new Rabbitfish we just got in? they are fantastic, did you want one of those before you head out? I replied no, I wasn't in the market for fish. He continued to pressure me, it was fairly obnoxious, and I resorted to completely ignoring him and turning my back. He folled me to the till told the cashier a price and walked away.
My 7 snails cost $25 and change.
Once home after the snails were acclimated for a few hours I added them to the aquarium, each seperately by net to ensure none were on their backs. I noticed that 2 of the turbo snails quickly (snail pace) went off in their own direction, but that 3 of them did not move. I waited, and waited, and after 7 hours of absolutely no sign of life I checked them, to find completely empty shells. So I was sold 2 live Turbo snails and 2 live cerith snails and 3 empty shells for over $25, and was pressured by a manager into buying a fish that my little system could NOT handle. :verymad:

Sorry for the long post, but man am I ticked! Is this a common occurence?

I would be livid and would be calling that store first thing in the morning for a refund!!!!!!! That is ridiculous. And, pretty high priced too. I always try to give the LFS my business, but that is an awful expensive "lesson" and who knows, maybe with shipping, it could still be cheaper to buy a CUC online.

I just added 5 hermits to my system, and they were .99 each.

GlassMunky

That price is outragous!!! and from the sounds of everything else, i would avoid that store in the future..... I like to always give my business to a local store rather than online if i can, but you gotta take the livestock health into account too, and it sounds like they dont really care, or know, what they are doing. great tank tho

AnisaG

Thanks for all the support guys, I thought the price was a little steep... And I don't think I will be returning that particular store, which is sad cause I really do like to support local businesses. But not when they treat their customers like that!

Uslanja

Hi Anisa! Sorry to hear of your bad experience. Take a photo of the two red spots so we can see what it is. You can easily take your CUC to a hermit per 1 gallon (we think the blue leg hermits are the overall best at cleaning) and the astrea (we find these snails to be the overall best as well) to a snail per 1 1/2 gallon. That will get your substrate, rock and glass cleaned real quick. The only down side is that your CUC numbers will adjust downward once everything is cleaned. There are some really neat salt water stores in Buffalo, but that is a 2.5 hour drive for you. Let me know if you want the addresses; you will enjoy them!

XeniaLee

Sometimes you just run into someone at a good store who is clueless, and you have to go over their head to get to someone who knows what their talking about.
I went to my favorite LFS last week, and the normally mellow sales guy must have had many many cups of coffee, because the was just SO excited about all sorts of corals and fish. He tried to sell me an "elegance coral" for $100 and some bright green tree coral for $60. I did end up buying a yellow head sand sifting goby. Normally I research everything before it goes in the tank, but I got caught up in his excitement. I'm glad I listened to him though -- the goby is awesome, and doing well.

AnisaG

Thanks for the kind words of wisdom everyone!

Dave and Tracy, I am pretty lucky that I am close to Kitchener too! There is an awesome LFS there, and I guess going forward they will get the majority of my business! My only complaint is that the fish are so so close with the reptile isle! I am PETRIFIED of snakes.... oh well the things we do for what we love!

A bit of an update on the tank...
The red spots are gone, and I plucked off most of my hair algae, not a fun task at all! All of my dry rock is growing very pretty purple and green coralline algae on it! And Monroe and Dean are doing great! No spikes of any kind since they were added nearly 3 weeks ago!
The past week has brought out more and more life in my tank! I have found a Pineapple Sponge, a stomatella, and a spagehetti worm. All helpful additions to my cuc!
I will post a new fts shortly!

Last edited: