Angie's Reef Journey

AngieRN

I currently have a 75g reef tank with about 150lbs of live rock and 40-50lbs of live sand. I have a mated pair of false perculas, 2 blue chromis, an engineer goby that likes to stay super busy rearranging my sand bed, and a snail eating serpent star. As for corals, I have a gorgeous fox coral (my favorite), a branching hammer coral, a branching frogspawn, pink mushrooms, pink and green zoas, an australian big polyp blastomussa, a toadstool leather, and a branching asterospicularia. I have 2 reef radiance LEDs and a 20g sump with a odyssea protein skimmer (which sucks, but, hey, you get what you pay for, right?) Please ignore all the ugly algae in the photos, I recently had a nitrate spike, but it's trending back down thanks to WCs and expanding my CUC. I think I was over feeding, so I've cut back. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpg

This tank is built into a wall and this is where the 125g will go. This means I have to move everything and set it up in a new location in order to get the new tank going. (Yay me!) today we'll be building a stand for the 75g and sump and, hopefully, we'll get it all transferred in the next few days. I've ordered 50lbs of reef saver dry live rock and 50lbs of figi dry live rock from BRS. I've also ordered 2 hydor koralia circulation pumps, a new protein skimmer, a Coral Vue that says it's good for up to 210g. It has great reviews! I've decided on a 40g sump with refugium. I'm hoping to pick that up today. Once I get the 125 set up, I plan to use some of the live rock, live sand, and water from the 75 to help get the 125 going.

The main questions I have right now are related to moving the current tank. I have to empty the tank, move it, then refill it. Will that be too much stress on my livestock? I have a QT tank, so I could just put the fish in this tank until the 125 is ready. I just don't want to cause harm to my fish and corals by moving them too much. I intend to use the same water for the move, minus enough to equal a 20% water change. Also, concerning the dry live rock I ordered from BRS, do I need to cure that rock before I put it in the 125? I read mixed reviews on BRS website; some say they put it straight in the tank and some say they cured it in a container with a circulation pump. I just want to do everything right now, so that I won't have problems later! Slow and steady wins the race!

Here's a pic of the 125 in the garage, full of water to test for leaks!

image.jpg

This is all I have for now! I'll post more info and pics as I go

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cheers for starting a tank thread & sharing your lovely tank ! Look forward to seeing the 125 come to life ! :nessie:

You should be fine with the move, tanking down the 75, moving it & setting it back up. This is the plan right? Cycling the new tank would be my 1st choice, using your current LR and the new dry rock, you many not have much of a cycle, but if I could leave livestock in the 75, once moved for a couple weeks, I think if you can, I would. Congrats on the new tank !

See what others suggest

AngieRN

108lbs of dry live rock arrived yesterday from BRS! These rocks are beautiful! I moved them from the boxes they came in and put them in these styrofoam containers. Is it ok to keep them dry until the 125g gets put in, or should I go ahead and put them in a container with salt water and a pump to start the cycle process?
image.jpg

The hubby has made great progress on a stand for the 75g, since it's currently built into the wall. He's finishing the doors today, then he's going to stain it and apply some water sealant.
image.jpg image.jpg

meknudson2

Nice tank and it seems like you thought everything out really well for the new tank.
+1 on "nanoreefing4fun", he seems to have put it very well.

AngieRN

Got the stand stained and a coat of polyurethane put on today. Now to let it dry for the next 24 hours! Then we're going to work on draining the 75 and getting it broken down and re-setup tomorrow. Then we can start the construction phase started. The 75 is 48" long and the 125 is 72", so we'll have to expand the wall opening, and also add some extra reinforcements. I'll post more pics as we go. image.jpgimage.jpg

AngieRN

Ok, for the last few days I've had what I thought was diatoms. Today, when the lights came on, the 'diatoms' now appear to be slimy/stringy. Anyone know that this might be? And how do I get rid of it?! Sorry for the picture quality, I only have my iPhone to take pics with this morning!

Water parameters:

SG- 1.025
pH- 8.2
Ammonia- 0
Nitrites- 0
Nitrates- 10
Calcium- 400
Alk- 11
Phosphates- 0.2

Did a 25% water change last Monday. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg