Anenome Splitting? Maybe??

Web2000

I've had my anenome for about 6 months now and about 10 days ago he started moving to different spots in the tank much to my dismay. I've had to move a few corals and he's went a few rounds with my colt which I can't move since he's attached himself to a rock shelf in my tank also. In the last week or so I've noticed that it looks like my anenome has a knot in it's mouth. It almost looks like it's foot is all tangled up. He does keep coming out when the lights go on, but it's only been about two days in the same spot then off to a new spot in the tank. Now tonight I noticed it looks like he might be splitting. Has anyone ever actually seen their anenome split out in the open? I've always heard that they go into hiding for a few days and then boom theres two!! I don't believe there is anything stressing him. All the water parameters are checking out good. Is he just splitting and if so how long does it usually take? Sorry for the long post!!

:confused: :confused:
Bill

reefshadow

Hi, Bill-

What kind of anemone, and what type of lighting do you have on your tank? Also how often do you feed the anemone and is it still accepting food?
BTA's (entacmaea quadricolor) are generally the anemones that split the most often.
Sometimes in underlit tanks an anemone can live a long time in a very slowly declining state. Wandering is generally not a good sign, and sometimes is a last ditch effort to find the conditions it needs before death.
Of course it may very well be splitting, i hope this is the case for yours!
Good luck!!!
-Becca:)

Brucey

Hi Bill yes what Lights do you have. A BTA can accept foods or live for long periods on the zooanthelle algae within it, but it needs MH lights or similar to do this.
Welcome to RS matey
Brucey

Web2000

I have 2 - 250 watt MH and 2 - 96 watt PC's 50/50. There is plenty of light for my 120. The anenome has stayed put for about a week now, opening up into the same spot when the lights go on and retreating to his cave when the lights go off. It is a rose BTA. Although he's staying put now there is still something different about his mouth and foot. It's not split, but there seems to be a knot or something different about where his mouth is. I tried to feed him the other day and he didn't eat, but he is opening up and inflating just like normal. So I really don't know what is going on. He doesn't look damaged at all.

Bill:confused:

mwrager

Hello, Web

I have the same lighting as you do, also the same gal tank. I now have 3 BTA's in my tank, I started with one. Now one of mine is starting split. I will try and post a pic for you. Soon to have 4 BTA's again.