Anemone in trouble?Please help!

ghost79

I purchased a bubble tip anemone last Monday May 4. Brought him home and he did well for the first few days. Now he has completely shriveled up and flipped himself over. He has been like this for a day and a half. Is he going to be ok? Do I need to remove him? I am in fear for my clownfish as well my firefish. All my water parameters are good. The light in the dealers tank was rather subdued, perhaps my lights are too bright for him. Please advise. Thanks!

jcgardner

I am sorry to hear that. What type of lighting do you have? What are your water para? I am sure some one is asking the same thing right now. If you have a qt I would probably move him just in case. I am sure others will chim in who have experience with this. Hope all turns out ok.

DrHank

Need much more information. What are your parameters? Numbers, not just that they are good. How long has your tank been set up? Anems love light. What type and how much do you have? How big is your tank?

ghost79

Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate none detected pH8.2 specific gravity of 1.023 temp 78-82 tank is 24 gallon aquapod with Compact Fluorescent Lighting. A picasso clownfish pair a red firefish and 3 emerald crabs. I also have over 20lbs of live rock. The tank has been set up for over 3 months now.

I would leave it alone for a day or so and see how it does. They will look quite pathetic while aclimating to a new tank....fairly normal

BarbMazz

Hi, Ghost, and welcome to RS....

Unfortunately, and I'm sad to tell you this, but the anemone is most likely dying. Once they start going face down it's usually curtain time.

Anemones need very stable, well-established systems, preferably stable for approximately six months, before they are introduced.

They are also high light need creatures. A bubble tip most likely needs at least T5 high output lighting, and then they would need to be up near the top of the tank.

When the anemone is actually dead they will disintegrate very, very quickly and are hard to remove. At that point, it's not good for the tank and its inhabitants to have it in there.

Can you put up a picture of it? A good way to tell if it's dead is to lift it up and take a sniff...if it's dead you will KNOW it because it will be one of the worst smells you've ever sniffed!

ghost79

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the help. Unfortunately my anemone did not make it. After thorough research I hesitate to ever purchase an anemone again. Everything I have read says that these creatures have an absolutely horrible survival rate. I wish the shop owner would have been more forthcoming with information. I do ask alot of questions but it's easy with something so beautiful that truly appeared very healthy to make a bad decision. I will leave the anemones care to mother nature. This forum has been great so far I will return next time I have questions or before I make purchases. Thanks everyone!

BarbMazz

I'm sorry for the loss. Unfortunately, a lot of stores out there are more interested in filling the cash register than giving sound advice and true information.

Stick around! RS is an invaluable source for good information. Nice people, too.

DrHank

Sorry for your loss. I agree with everything Barb has said. Your tank is too new for an anemone. Honestly, six months stability, pristine water conditions and lots of light is the minimum required for anemones.

Personally, I waited a year before I got my first one and I've had several since. You can do it too if you really want to. Take a break from them and let your tank mature. Upgrade your lighting to T5s or MH. Spend a few months reading, researching, and asking questions.

Once you've learned what they need to thrive and are able to provide it, there is no reason that you can't have success with anemones. Also, there are many folks here that can help you with any questions you have.

I hate to say it but the many fish store owners are more concerned with selling you whatever suits your fancy regardless of your ability to keep it alive. Remember once it's out of their door the problem is yours. They've made their money. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of responsible merchants but ultimately the responsibility for your tank is you!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Ditto to the above posts but another aspect that has not been covered is the acclimation process. Inverts should be acclimated very slowly to the new water. Drip acclimation over an hour or two seems to be the easiest for most reefers.
Fast acclimation can severly stress and kill.

Ditto to the above posts but another aspect that has not been covered is the acclimation process. Inverts should be acclimated very slowly to the new water. Drip acclimation over an hour or two seems to be the easiest for most reefers.
Fast acclimation can severly stress and kill.

AGREE!!!! I have an LTA in my tank and have had him for 6+ months. He is doing awesome and I used drip acclimation over the course of an hour and a half.

l3fty999

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the help. Unfortunately my anemone did not make it. After thorough research I hesitate to ever purchase an anemone again. Everything I have read says that these creatures have an absolutely horrible survival rate. I wish the shop owner would have been more forthcoming with information. I do ask alot of questions but it's easy with something so beautiful that truly appeared very healthy to make a bad decision. I will leave the anemones care to mother nature. This forum has been great so far I will return next time I have questions or before I make purchases. Thanks everyone!

Sorry to hear about that, but continue your research before you give up. Oh, and you should add a lot of patience in there too. Once you have an established tank with proper lighting, I think that't half the battle. But, you can ask lots of questions here in these forums as I have and kind, understanding, knowlegeable hobbyists will give good, informative answers.

Good luck
Aaron

P.S. I am an anemone keeper and love it!

rmlevasseur

Once your tank is mature, you should not be afraid to try a BTA again. BTA's are fairly hardy critters. Yours may have died due to injuries it sustained at the LFS and were unknown to you at purchase.