Anemone, clown hosting

FishCrazed

So, there I was buying 2 Ocellaris, False Percula clowns, a pair they said.. To go with a newly acquired bubble tip anemone.. They wouldn’t look at it.. touch it or otherwise!

So I, got tired of the anemone not having a host and a bought a maroon clown knowing all articles state they will host the bubble tip. That worked great for about a week til the larger of the two false perculas caught on and got a much needed lesson in hosting! And kicked him out of the anemone .. that bubble tip is now his!

Being the good host I am, I decided, ok ill buy one more bubble tip for the maroon since the 2nd percula was showing no interest period in the other bubble tip or his mate. Put it in the tank and the maroon takes to it. light goes out and the 2nd percula clown which had shown no desire to the bubble tip previously.. kicked him out yet again.. Please tell me there is a peaceful solution to this.. Without me having to buy another anemone!!!!

My maroon needs his home back!!!

Tsao

False percs usually won't host in BTA's, or so I thought... I would just let them figure it out on their own unless they start attacking eachother, in that case I'd take one back to the store (The maroon since the others are a pair). Or, If your tank is large enough, I'd add another maroon. If you have two percs, and since they are a pair, they might make the maroon an odd ball out of the group and pick on him.

FishCrazed

Hi there.. The tank is a 110 gallon. I was thinking maybe i should buy another maroon. And yeah i was really shocked when the falsies decided they were guna host the bubble tip since every article ive read says they can, but not likely and esp since they had shown no interest period up until today when i noticed my lil maroon in the corner of the tank and seen the larger of the falsies barrel himself into the bubbletip..

Well.. wouldnt ya know.. i got 2 falsies which have learned the way of hosting the bubbletip.

(sigh)

Tsao

I wish my false would host in my BTA... I got an nice large one for him or the true I got, neither will host. But my anemone keeps going behind the LR into caves and such. =/ 110 is more than enough in my opinion for another clown, depending on how many other fish you have of course.

FishCrazed

maybe your solution is to buy a maroon to show em the way.. Then you can deal with em fighting! Forgot to mention the reason im trying so hard to fix this situation is because the larger falsie is attacking and biting the fins badly of my maroon which .. at the moment is my favorite clown.

so im trying to stop the violence!!!! ahhhh

Lets see .. we have a few damsels (sigh) they can be pretty mean.. We have a purple tang which is about 4-5 inches and a baby Scopas Tang, the 2 falsies, 1 maroon, some crabs and snails and 2 cleaner shrimps.

we are kinda bare.. :) taking it slowwwwwwwww

So hopefully that load is not too much and i can get me another maroon to help even out the fighting territory! Go MAROONS GO!

Tsao

Well, I don't have a large tank but I know that a tang needs 75 - 100g and you'll have two once the one is grown but I don't know much about over crowding, do you have a sump tank? If so I'd put the maroon in there for now, didn't realize they were biting him and such. If you got another maroon I think he'd be fine, if anything I'd worry about the percs because maroons are more aggressive than percs.

Ooh ooh! I got an idea!!! Start another tank for the maroons!!! I would if I had money. =] You can't have too many tanks.

FishCrazed

lol.. nope cant have too many tanks. but i needa save room for us mere humans! running out of square footage!! Grr i needa bigger house! or less tanks.. na BIGGER house.!

We already have 3 saltwater tanks, and 6 freshwater tanks in our house..

Been in the freshwater hobby for well over a decade. Just now recently decided to try saltwater.. wow.. what a difference!

Tsao

Yeah, I just moved into a house. Can't believe I even considered freshwater when I decided I needed a fish tank. They seem so boring compared to saltwater.
I found this on the forums,
One inch per 5 gallons of water seems to be the standard. Also, remember that is based on the adult size of the fish. So if you get a juvinile fish you need to calculate based on the adult size of the fish.
Peace
Lynn

What type of filtration do you have? Usually the problem with overstocking is the waste. If you don't have a refugium, you could try a hang on the back one, that's what I have while I'm setting up my 20gal, from what i've read having a refugium allows a little bit of over stocking fish due to good nitrate removal from fish waste. If I'm wrong someone can correct me, but that's my understanding.

FishCrazed

oh.. dont get me wrong.. i love my freshwater tanks.. Both salt and fresh exhibit their own beauties.. I would never tear down my freshwaters!!! Ive actually added some since the salties! The saltwater tank is more of my hubbys new hobby and the only reason he keeps going despite the trials is because he doesnt know when to lay down and give up!!!! (thank god for that).. I like my unsalty friends as does the hubby! Salt is a nice change of pace sometimes.. (ie) when things arent dying for no reason!

But saltwater is more trying on the pocket and frustrations!!!

lcstorc

Wow! This thread is a real suprise. I didn't think any other clown could beat a maroon. I have one and there is no way I can put another clown in the tank and it is a 125. I would remove either the pair or the maroon. The only other option I can think of is to put the percs in the sump or another tank and let the maroon establish himself but that is likely to just swap the agression.

tbittner

I agree, Lynn. I won't be surprised when (not if) the maroon says "enough is enough" and starts bullying around ALL the other fish in the tank. My LFS had a pair in a frag tank with anemonies and if you put your finger close to the water, they would attack. Vicious little critters!

lcstorc

Mine is usually pretty good but don't try to put another clown or the feeding tongs anywhere near. I have a pair of Clarki clowns in a separate tank for this very reason.