Anamone

sarah

Hi ever yone, i need a little help here please,
Could u please give me some info on this anamoe all i now that it is a comman one. Cold u tell me where in the tank it should go and what lighting needed as im up gradeing any wayand what do they eat.

Thanks alot
SARAH xxx:)

Gina

RS STAFF
A picture or description would help us in determining what type you have.

We had a BTA and he pretty much determined himself where he wanted to be.

We spot fed him mysis and krill. He would eat whole cubes of the frozen ones.

As far as lights, we have MH and VHO. Unfortunately, I don't know what strength they are. I will ask Mark when he gets up.

I can tell you one thing. We lost ours because we got him too early. I have been told and have read that you need a stable environment and mature tank to keep one healthy. We only had our tank up for about 7 wks when we got ours. He did real well for about a month. Then he started retracting for longer periods of time. He then detatched from where he was but, reattached to another rock. We thought he would be ok at that point but, went down hill from there. I left him in for 2 days to just make sure he was dead and upon removal spewed all kinds of crap everywhere and then our first disaster!!! We lost alot of fish, our pods, crabs, and snails. It took a couple of months doing everything possible to have a stable tank again.

1st lesson hard learned!

BoomerD

My BTA's do very well under 4x110w VHO. Probably do better under MH, and will see about that after the new tank is going for a few months.

sarah

Hi, second attept to put photo on thread
Sarah xxx

johnlewis

Looks like a LTA or long tentacle anemone. Now for lighting needs I would consider it a moderate user of light below the needs of a colored carpet or ritteri. More important would be water flow IMO.

J

jupiter

Originally posted by sarah
Hi ever yone, i need a little help here please,
Could u please give me some info on this anamoe all i now that it is a comman one. Cold u tell me where in the tank it should go and what lighting needed as im up gradeing any wayand what do they eat.

Thanks alot
SARAH xxx:)

Did the anemone have a name when you bought it? Even a vague common name would be helpful.

The best place to put the anemone is wherever it goes. If it has settled in a spot in your tank just leave it alone and it will find a suitable spot. Every anemone is different and even though some people have (short-term) success with non-optimal conditions, there are a few things certain species require for maxiumum success.

If that is a sebae anemone it will do best on coral rubble and sand. It tends to burrow its foot.

If that is a bubble-tip, it prefers the rock work and living in an overhang.

If it's a long-tentacle, it will generally burrow or move around every little while.

Can you describe the colour of its foot? Is it red or pink, or is it white to brown like the rest of its body? Is it more of a "mushroom" shape (does it have a narrow base and a top that is something like a plate with tentacles on it)? Does it have little nubs on it's underside of this plate? Or is it sort of like a "tube" where the tentacle grow out of the top of it (ie. the top is just as narrow and the bottom of it)? And ther BIG giveawy, does it have purple tips?

sarah

Hi they told me it is a comman mawl anemone the bottom of it is a very light pink the same as the tenticals, i think it looks like a plate with tenticals on it. No it does not have purple tips on it.
Hope this is enough info.

Thanks SARAH xxx

Hope i have spelt malw right :eek:

J

jupiter

I would almost guarantee its a malu. And it looks like one, too.

Although they are common, they are very difficult to keep alive for the first few month. Fortunately, your anemone looks like it hasn't bleached or lost its zoox algae. In fact, your anemone looks really good and I think it has a promising future. Usually they have pink or purple tips but not always.

As for care, it is a sebae anemone so it tends to prefer rubbley bottoms. If that pic you took is from your own tank, I would say the substrate looks good for the anemone. You can try to feed it pieces of shrimp, squid, or some krill. I haven't had success with fish but it's all in the anemone's preference. Yours might like silversides. Try feedings 2 to 3 times a week. If your lighting is good, you can cut this back to once every week or two.

These anemones do require quite a bit of light. I would suggest PC as an absolute minimum but you would be best to use metal halide for any host anemone. If you are upgrading lighting, get MH.

One regular fish found with this anemone is the sebae clown. These aren't particulary common (nor are they rare). But many anemone fishes like the sebae anemone.

Heteractis malu

sarah

Hi everyone,
stupid quastion how do u feed the anemone without the other things in the tank pinching it.

Thanks sarah xxx

RanRoc

Do you mean that fish or other critters (eg, shrimp) are poaching the anemone's food? If so, try feeding everything else first, then feed the anemone last.
-RY

Brucey

Yes it is a malu .... pretty sure. Sarah, what lights have you got mate .... I would recommend MH lights which allow the zooanthelle to grow within the anenome. I've had a BTA for 18 months that has never eaten a thing and yet is super healthy .... just survives of the zooanthelle and filter feeds too. You can place a shrimp or peice of fish directly into the tentacles (hopefully it will grab it) and only a foolhardy fish wishes to get stung badly will go for it. I hand feed my ritteri Mussle, lancefish, shrimp ..... anything it can get it's hands on. She's a beats
HTH
Brucey

sarah

Tank is 13 weeks old everything is feeding ang growing brillent.
Just fed the malu a piece of prawn con not get any shrimps and it gobbled it up. it also decided to move him self a bit closer to the glass we have also gave him name he is called fred the cats are fascinated by him.

Thanks for everyones help SARAH xxx:D