An attempt to solving the CPR Overflow flooding issue.

mnollar

I have a CPR overflow and a wife that would quickly bring this hobby to an end if there was a flood in our living room. Knowing what I know now, I should have drilled the tank, but I'm a little beyond that now. The issue with the CPR overflows is the reliance on a mechanical pump to remove the trapped air in the siphon. CPR recommends a Tom Aquatics Aqua Lifter—Dosing Pump to do the job. The problem with this setup is that this unit WILL fail eventually. When it does and you aren't there watching the tank, you will get a flood. Here is my idea and maybe it has been thought of already.

Attached to the line coming from the CPR Overflow you have a plastic "Y” that allows for two dosing pumps to run at once drawing from the one outlet on the overflow. The chances of two pumps failing at the same time are very small. This dual pump design should allow for you to have a failover pump until you can replace the failed pump, thus avoiding disaster.

Thoughts?

Has anyone seen these "Y" connections for airline tubing? If you have, where can I find them?

If anything this setup would at least give me piece of mind when I'm at work or away for the weekend.

aquaman3680

Sounds like a great idea now you just have to find it. Take it to cpr and tell them your idea maybe they will listen and consider manufacturing it.
My .02

Kensn

I use an Aqulifter to supply my calcium reactor and have found it to be a reliable pump. If you maintain the pump with periodic cleanings, it should perform fine, I think it would be unlikely that the pump would fail and there would be enough air trapped in the overflow to stop it before you noticed.

Your idea seems valid, the little ys you can get in a kit of airline fittings at most any pet store that handles aquarium stuff.

john

funny you should bring this up cause mine overflowed do to the aqualifter pump failing. damnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!! bout 30 gallons of water on my new wood floor. let me know if you figure out a solution

mnollar

Do the periodic cleaning include opening it up?

I'll keep looking for the "Y" connectors and let you know what I find. I know you can buy connectors that attach 2 airlines together. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,
Mike

BoomerD

IME, the bet fix for the CPR overflows is to sell them and replace them with a LifeReef overflow...I've used them at different times over the past 10-15 years, and have NEVER known one to fail as long as it was maintained properly. (gotta clean the algae out of the U-tube every so often)...BEST o/flow in the hobby, bar none...

mnollar

Not to mention the most expensive. The problem is... I know that now and if my idea can work, I can solve my CPR issue for $15 without having to mess with my plumming. If it doesn't work, then I guess I need to sell it and invest in another one. My next tank is definitately going to be drilled.

This is what I had in mind... Now if I can find it at the LFS.

14100.jpg
1732.jpg

Here's a place to order them online. The Hagen one looks to be better quality. For around 1$ you can't beat it. If it works.
http://4littlepets.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=11067
http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=1732

Mad Mike

I just start a water siphon in mine and drain it down into the sump. Hasn't failed yet every few days or so I just suck the air out that builds up.

mnollar

If you have not already checked this out, you might find some solutions here.

I have... The admins there tend to not say anything to lead people to think that they will fail. Answers are always... The Aqua-lifter won't fail so the overflow will work. Frustrating really.

BoomerD

mnollar said:
Not to mention the most expensive. The problem is... I know that now and if my idea can work, I can solve my CPR issue for $15 without having to mess with my plumming. If it doesn't work, then I guess I need to sell it and invest in another one. My next tank is definitately going to be drilled.

This is what I had in mind... Now if I can find it at the LFS.

14100.jpg
1732.jpg

Here's a place to order them online. The Hagen one looks to be better quality. For around 1$ you can't beat it. If it works.
http://4littlepets.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=11067
http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=1732

In my experiences, the CPR overflows are responsible for more flooding than all of the other "commercially made" units combined. ANYTIME you have to depend on a pump to maintain siphon, you're just prolonging the inevitable. YES, you can clean and occasionally replace the pump, but...
Why not just replace it with a quality product that gives you some peace of mind, with no mechanical device to keep it going?
I understand they are spendy, (I've owned several) but can usually be found at a decent discount on the various boards in their "for sale" forums. In fact, I sold my last one here about 2 yrs ago to one of the members.
I figure the cost of cleaning or replacing flooring, whether it be carpet, or (maybe worse) hardwoods, far outweighs the cost of a quality product...

However, it's your tank, and of course, you can do things in any manner you choose...good luck.
Just my
2cents.gif

mps9506

Your looking at $20 for two aqualifter pumps, I purchased my non lifereef overflow box for around $50 (j tube style, won't lose suction as long as the stnadpipe is higher than the bottom of the j tube). Talking about saving ~$30 while still using the notrious cpr overflow. I would just eat the thirty bucks and have the peace of mind, and the ability to stay in the hobby :)

mnollar

Just a update.

I realize that many people solution to the CPR problems is to get rid of them, but not all of us can afford to replace the overflow that we currently have, so this solution is still valid in my eyes.

I hooked it up yesterday and it works like a charm. Starting from the connector on the overflow:

*- I attached an airline to the overflow.
*- I attached a Y to the airline coming from overflow and then attached two airlines from the other 2 connections on the Y to the inports on the Aqua-lifter.
*- I attached 2 airlines to the out ports on the aqualifter and then attached another Y to two of the connections on the Y. I then attached another airline to the final connection on the Y leading into the sump.

Please excuse the crude drawing...

CPRFailover.jpg

If I power off one pump it still pulls the air from the siphon, so I have pretty much created a failover device for the overflow. This significantly reduces the risk of flooding from a CPR overflow.

pumbaafoot

I installed a float switch to control my pump. The cost is very cheap and quick and easy to do. It gives me peace of mind to know that if something gets backed up the switch will cut it off. I ordered mine of off aquahub.com. Hope it helps