Amphipods as clean up crew

Paul B

I have a theory. I collected to many amphipods in the Long Island Sound so I am giving a few thousand away to someone who is coming tomorrow to take them, but in the meantime I am keeping them in a bare tank as I can't put them in my reef as it is overwhelmed with them already.
I have to change the water twice a day as there is no bacteria or anything else in there and these things eat so much. I think they are a fantastic, free, self maintaining clean up crew. I have collected these things all my life and I just thought of them as food, for the fish, not me although I never tasted them. I was thinking last night about this. I was thinking mostly about Supermodels but amphipods also came through. There is no algae in my tank, but there should be. I have an algae trough but there is no algae growing in it, just amphipods, tubeworms and brittle stars. I feed the amphipods in the spare tank with flakes or pellets and they are all over it like a cheap suit. A pellet has a life span as long as Lindsey Lohan's fame.
I am thinking that these suckers that are all over my tank are eating any algae as soon as it grows. I could be wrong as I am wrong about most things including ways to grow hair. Amphipods are also legal as there is no commercial use for them that I know of. There is no "Save the Amphipod" movements. I am going to look for some algae and if I find some, I will put some in the little pod tank I have to see if they eat it. If they do, I will set up a small pool in my yard and raise some just for kicks because I can't harvest them in my reef. I can collect them every day but I have a life and any minute a Supermodel may come knocking at my door.
This may be bigger than the internet, bigger than Myley Cyrus, more important them Spam or Hamburger helper.

Video

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
They are great scavengers......I'm trying to grow copepods and I'll turn the water green with phyto and in a day to 2 days it is clear again......I don't think people realize how much they actually eat.

And as always Paul.....Let me know when you want to send a few thousand my way.......I'll fire up the paypal account :)

I don't think I have 1 left in my tank, my wrasses are maniacs.

Snid

Watching this closely... Indeed. You may have just found a little side business.

Paul B

I don't need a side business. But I love to collect amphipods and do all summer. PSU4ME, I once sent a bunch to Arizona and he thanked me for the boiled shrimp

Paul B

Wow. But most of the ones I collect are not the endangered Illinois cave amphipods. Those cave amphipods look like Sissy amphipods, I only collect manly amphipods.