Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate ???

odstar

I started my cycle process in my Aquapod 24gal. using live sand and live rock from a established marine tank of 3 years. Also I used premixed salt water from LFS. This was started on Sat. Feb. 26th. I don't have any coral or life if any on the LR but have purple algae which came with the LR. I do daily ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, SG, PH checks but confused of my current findings?
Currently the ammonia has been steady at .025-.050 ppm , nitrite .000 ppm, nitrate at .000 ppm, SG between 1.021-1.023 and the PH below 8.00 I still have not done any water changes as of yet ( waiting till Sat. 4, 2006 ) and thats when I plan on removing the sponge. I am kinda confused?? I thought the ammonia spikes and then the nitrite spikes then nitrate and then everything should go down within a given period of time and water changes? By all means I am not trying to rush the cycling process but trying to grasp whats going on? I also used a piece of raw shrimp to help with the cycling process. Let me know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks Guys!
Odstar

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Because you used precycled sand and rock you are not seeing a strong cycle. I suggest you use a raw grocery store shrimp to cycle your tank. Just put the shrimp in the tank for 2-3 days then remove it. The ammonia from it will start a strong cycle for you.

Also, increase your salinity up to 1.026 (35 ppt).

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I still have not done any water changes as of yet

I would not do any Water Changes until the cycle is complete. The fact that you've had no nitrite/nitrate readings simply means you don't have enough nitrifying bacteria yet. How long since you started the cycle ?

odstar

I started the setup on Feb. 26 2006. I did add a raw shrimp and it's still in the aquarium as we speak.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I did add a raw shrimp and it's still in the aquarium as we speak.

I would leave it there and it appears your about midway in your cycle.

using live sand and live rock from a established marine tank of 3 years

How much of the LS and LR did you add ? How long was the rock out of the water before added to your tank ?
LR that's 3 years old should definitely have enough nitrifying bacteria to convert any ammonia to nitrates so it seems a bit odd :columbo:

odstar

I have about 27lbs of LR which was out of water for about 5 hours but covered with wet towels from the previous Aquarium and enclosed in a styrofoam container. As for LS I have 20lbs which was purchase at the LFS. Should I just purchase preimun LR online instead??? Maybe i got suckered???

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
odstar said:
I have about 27lbs of LR which was out of water for about 5 hours but covered with wet towels from the previous Aquarium and enclosed in a styrofoam container. As for LS I have 20lbs which was purchase at the LFS. Should I just purchase preimun LR online instead??? Maybe i got suckered???

Well usually mature LR will have plenty of bacteria and definitely will speed up the cycle. I wouldn't get any LR online unless you cure it in a separate tank as it'll just extend the cycle. I would wait patiently until the cycle is complete. Just my 2 cents.