Ammonia issues... Maybe

Aquaphile

In my weekly tests I never can figure out if my ammonia is really zero or .25. I found another thread with similar problems with the API test but what it boils down to is, it depends on where i am standing and the viewing angle. I don't think its .25, but I have doubts that's it's zero. I've attached the pictures I feel give the best representation of color. The more transparent tube is my rodi water for reference. What do you think? Other than some cyano my tank is doing really well so Im not REALLY worried about it but it stays stable at this level.

Also, why is the rodi test clear, and tank cloudy?

47CA4822-F2D9-4269-81B2-D7748DB83D93-1897-00000193C8C6CDA0.jpg

F46D1574-AF80-4D4C-9132-F33CCF9C4595-1897-0000019394AD8890.jpg

8757FBB2-5556-4861-8903-F6DC4998DCB8-1897-00000193A90D44AD.jpg

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Do you suspect ammonia? The API tests are tough at the low end. I ended up getting a salifert test which is much better. If your tank has cycled and your livestock is accounted for I think you're fine. I only have the ammonia kit on hand for my qt tank.

And, I assume the cloudiness is from it being salt water vs fresh

Aquaphile

I don't really have a reason. I just read a lot of posts that say "your ammonia is .25 you need to get it down ASAP!" and I'm sittin looking at test results with little confidence that I can even tell the difference between the two lol. I didn't have much of a cycle because I started with really good rock and sand that didn't spend 2 minutes out of water, along with seasoned water. I have yet to see any nitrite, and very little nitrate. My ammonia got to a definite .5 for a few days, followed by a diatom bloom and that was it. Which was all back in October.

sheavens

Why not try testing on some freshly made sea water and comparing the color with the water from your tank? that's what I did when I wasn't sure. I'm betting that you are probably close to zero ammonia.

reefguy

I had the same issue with the test kit. I tested fresh made saltwater and got same result using rodi water. I am sure I have a little but I just make sure to do my water changes. No problems.