Am I ready for a 'nem?

reefguy

well there's the thing. MY tank is reaching its 1 year mark, and not even half my corals, I'd say, are in place. So i'm kinda worried, but it'd probly be better to let the nem get settled in first right?

If you want a nem and corals I would say so but still no guarantee.

Reefdiver

There's nothing like watching clowns or shrimp playing in a nem. I had a condy that Sandy killed and replaced it with a beautiful green w yellow tips LTA. Both of them basically ruled the tank-they went where they wanted to go, and I had to rearrange corals to avoid them . Still worth it,IMO. I feed a fingernail sized flake of whatever fish I' m eating every5-7 days. I hand feed it with chopsticks and fight it to get the chopsticks back!

ronnunan

RBTA... easy to keep and if you have a reef tank it shouldn't be a problem. Not enough people test their water on a regular basis but if you did, you would know that your ready. Keep your alk consistent, phosphates at 0 and a stable mag and calcium...and everything will be happy.

JJB103

[Also If you are going to just do a nem tank then you are fine. Once it's been 8+ months add them with very little worry just watch the power heads and over flows. Them eating fish is rare. I would let them get settled and then I would add corals a few months later once you know they are in place. I have a tank that is off my main display that I setup just for one carpet and it's awesome no doubt but he has to be by himself and I don't have any nem's in my DT cause I can't afford for them to take out my beautiful Acans. /QUOTE]

I can't remember when or wear I heard this. I was told to put the nem in my tank first before corals. That way it will move around and find its "happy place" and generally won't move again as long as you don't have a drastic change in your tank (lighting, water current, parameters). It would take a very patient person to wait at least 6-8 months before any corals go in.

JJB103

Also If you are going to just do a nem tank then you are fine. Once it's been 8+ months add them with very little worry just watch the power heads and over flows. Them eating fish is rare. I would let them get settled and then I would add corals a few months later once you know they are in place. I have a tank that is off my main display that I setup just for one carpet and it's awesome no doubt but he has to be by himself and I don't have any nem's in my DT cause I can't afford for them to take out my beautiful Acans. :)

Happy Reefing!

I can't remember when or wear I heard this. I was told to put the nem in my tank first before corals. That way it will move around and find its "happy place" and generally won't move again as long as you don't have a drastic change in your tank (lighting, water current, parameters). It would take a very patient person to wait at least 6-8 months before any corals go in.

lbiminiblue

There's nothing like watching clowns or shrimp playing in a nem. I had a condy that Sandy killed and replaced it with a beautiful green w yellow tips LTA. Both of them basically ruled the tank-they went where they wanted to go, and I had to rearrange corals to avoid them . Still worth it,IMO. I feed a fingernail sized flake of whatever fish I' m eating every5-7 days. I hand feed it with chopsticks and fight it to get the chopsticks back!

how much do RBTAs run for? Over 30 right? I think nI could keep one fairly easily. The thing is, I haven't even mastered clownfish yet. The first two died of disease. The third was tiny and didn't eat. So i'm thinking of getting a biggish true percula next time that readily eats pellets and squid.

sheavens

I have found my bta very easy to care for, it roamed till it found a spot it liked, and has since cloned 7 times. I did lose one coral to having a nem, I also lost my two year old mandarin. If you have any slow moving perching type fish, I probably would avoid a nem

Thanks for that advice, I have just bought a mandarin, he is still in my QT and I was in 2 minds about moving him to the DT. Either the BTA has to go, or I don't introduce the Mandarin. I think the BTA will have to go, it's growing out of control anyway.

reefguy

Thanks for that advice, I have just bought a mandarin, he is still in my QT and I was in 2 minds about moving him to the DT. Either the BTA has to go, or I don't introduce the Mandarin. I think the BTA will have to go, it's growing out of control anyway.

QT for 4 weeks min.